Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mailbox rights problem

Hi ,

we are using exchange 2000 , now the thing is i can access anyone's mailbox wihout having their mailbox rights . when i am going to control panel - mail - e mail accounts - view or change - more settings - advance and add - respective mailbox ,, here i am able to add anyone's mailbox even though i don't have it's mailbox rights .

I am also trying to access through OWA access , at here it is asking password to open the mailbox , but why i am able to open anyone's mailbox without having the rights for their mailbox , what may be the problem ...

please help ...

Kathy

Re: Mailbox rights problem

Hi,

You dit not tell us what kind of account you use!

If you can view the mailboxes of others try to check yours of it's open for other by going to :

MS Outlook > Navigation Pane > Right click on Mailbox top level > Properties > Permissions

Check than this two things:

- Default:
    - Anonymous:

This two should have a permission level of: NONE

If not contact your Mail server admin or your IT-Deprtment..

Comment

Hi,

I know we are talking about 2K here, but in 2K3, even with the permissions stated a domain admin can open other users mailboxes and have OWA access.

Comment

You cannot open mailboxes without having permissions to do so. Therefore the permissions must be granted in some way.

There are basically two ways that permission can be granted.

- full mailbox access
        - send as/receive as

You need to check both to see which one is giving the permission.

Although my personal opinion is that an Exchange admin does not need access to all mailboxes by default to do their job. It is not a permission that I have had or asked for and I can do my job.

Simon.
        --
        Simon Butler
        Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
        More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
        Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
        In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

Hi ,

i have check from the other users also , they can add the mailbox for the another user but when i am opening the out look it says folder can not be open ...so that's fine ...but if i give the proper rights to user even thaugh that user can not send the mails from the respective mailbox ..why is it so ? is it any exchange corruption in my server ..

Even after the given the full mailbox access also , the user is not able to send the mail from the res[ective users mailbox , why is it so ?

please help

kathy
          Last edited by kathy; 1st November 2007, 08:28.

Comment

Hi ,

Can anyone please help me in this ..........

Kathy

Comment

Originally posted by Sembee View Post
              There are basically two ways that permission can be granted.

- full mailbox access
              - send as/receive as
              To my horror I have discovered that many administrators that do not know how to work with Exchange have placed their user account in the Exchange Domain Servers group, and thus have gained access to the mailboxes. When I explain to them that this is not something you're supposed to do, and if you absolutely need to, then that's not the way to do it - they say that it works and they don't care one way or the other.

Lame, but true.
              Cheers,

Daniel Petri
              Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
              MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Working...
              X