No announcement yet.

email Problems

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• email Problems

Hello all,

I am having a problems with our emails. We have an exchange server, everyone was able to received emails normally until Monday. The users can send emails but they cannot received them. I also noticed that our website was down, so I called our host and they said the name server we had will not work so they changed it to their name server and that is why our emails were not working as well. Well 48 hours the website was up but we were still receiving emails, so I called them again and they said that that they do not forward to exchange. So, I asked them redirect our ns back to what it was.
    Well in the meantime nobody has received an email in a week and now we have to wait another 48 to 72 hours. Is there a way that our users can get emails, is there any setting on the exchange server that I can adjust? (i am a newbie on Exchange)
    This is the response that is sent back from the email.

Technical details of permanent failure:
    TEMP_FAILURE: Could not initiate SMTP conversation with any hosts:
    [ (5): Connection refused]

Thank you!!

Choose a better topic for your thread!

Make sure you pick a better topic for your next thread. Failing to do so will result in your account being suspended for 2 weeks.

As for your question - in order to be able to receive incoming mail you need the following:

1) An MX Record on your external DNS server, the one authoritative for your external SMTP domain name (i.e.

2) That MX Record needs to point to the alias that is an SMTP server that is configured to allow incoming mail traffic for that domain. This could be your ISP's mail server, your Exchange server, a mail relay server, and so on.

3) A firewall configured to receive incoming SMTP traffic from the host specified in #2, to your internal Exchange server.

If you have all this, you do not need your ISP for your incoming email traffic.

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services