Forestprep and ADprep on which DC?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forestprep and ADprep on which DC?

We're trying to upgrade our Exchange 2000 Server (standard) running on a windows 2000 member server to Exchange Server 2003 standard. Our Domain is split across 3 sites, in each site the DCs are all on Windows Server 2003 standard, All service packs are up to date on all the servers also. My question is, which DC should I run Forestprep and which one should I run ADprep?

Re: Forestprep and ADprep on which DC?

it really doesnt matter as long as there is no problem with replication in your domain. i choose to run it from the DC that is holding the FSMO position...

being that you have three sites with DCs at all locations, dont forget to allow for replication latency...

here are a few notes on prep-steps:

When you upgrade Windows 2000 Server to Windows Server 2003 without a service pack installed, prepare the forest using adprep /forestprep and prepare each domain using adprep /domainprep. Adprep /domainprep prepares the domain for upgrade and adds inheritable access control entries (ACEs) to the Group Policy objects (GPOs) in the SYSVOL shared folder, which causes domain-wide replication to occur. The amount of replication traffic that is generated by this operation might affect network conditions adversely.
    When you upgrade Windows 2000 Server to Windows Server 2003 with Service Pack 1 (SP1), prepare the forest using adprep /forestprep and prepare each domain using adprep /domainprep. Adprep /domainprep in Windows Server 2003 with SP1 does not add inheritable ACEs to the GPOs in the SYSVOL shared folder and does not cause domain-wide replication to occur.
    When network conditions are optimal or if a full synchronization of the SYSVOL share will not affect network bandwidth adversely, run adprep /domainprep /gpprep to add the inheritable ACEs to the GPOs in the SYSVOL shared folder.
    pleae take a second or two to look over this m$ page, as it contains information that is applicable to your situation...
    http://technet2.microsoft.com/window....mspx?mfr=true
    its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
    Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

Re: Forestprep and ADprep on which DC?

Like James said, run forestperp on the Schema Master, and domainprep on the PDC Emulator.
      Cheers,

Daniel Petri
      Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
      MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Working...
      X