Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• POP3 & Exchange 2003 STD edition

Hello,

I have 1 Microsoft Exchange 2003 STD edition server on Windows 2003 box.
    My domain is Windows 2003
    I enabled "Exchange POP3" service
    Now it's showing in "ESM" that default POP3 virtual server is running.

I never configured POP3 on a Exchange server. How to do that?

Is it neccesary to add "Default Windows" POP3 service too via "Add/Remove windows componants" under "mail service"...

After enabling "Exchange POP3", I configured 1 of my local user account as a POP user and it worked. But how I can access my exchange server as a POP3 server over WAN ? I tried to configure my handset but it failed. I tried by putting mail.myexchangeservername.biz as POP3 & as SMTP server. I also tried by using public IP of my exchange but unable to connect.

Any solution ?
    Goal is to configure my exchange e-mail on a PDA/Smart phone which dont have Microsoft outlook and from a computer where I can configure accounts as POP3.
    All in 1
    Solaris,Linux & Windows admin + networking.

Re: POP3 & Exchange 2003 STD edition

well, first i would start with TFSE. there are plenty of articles here...

which aspect of the set-up are you concerned with?

if you have set one up as an SMTP then you can do it for POP. really no difference... its more or less a feature of a standard exchange install.

i personally dont use POP, as my users require more functionally than the POP provides. im using HTTPS/RPC for field workers...

here is a collection of links on Petri that are POP configuration oriented:

Change the POP3 Banner
    SMTP, POP3 and Telnet in Exchange 2000/2003
    How to restrict POP3 by IP
    Change the polling rate of the POP connector

and post some specific questions or concerns here.

and if that isnt enough, you can always try....
    its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
    Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

Originally posted by James Haynes View Post
      well, first i would start with TFSE. there are plenty of articles here...

which aspect of the set-up are you concerned with?

if you have set one up as an SMTP then you can do it for POP. really no difference... its more or less a feature of a standard exchange install.

i personally dont use POP, as my users require more functionally than the POP provides. im using HTTPS/RPC for field workers...

here is a collection of links on Petri that are POP configuration oriented:

Change the POP3 Banner
      SMTP, POP3 and Telnet in Exchange 2000/2003
      How to restrict POP3 by IP
      Change the polling rate of the POP connector

and post some specific questions or concerns here.

and if that isnt enough, you can always try....

Thanx for a quick reply. I searched @ TechNet. But the given info didn't solve my issue. Biggest question for me was/still is how can I know POP3 address of my exchange server? The default which I registered as a e-mail domain ?

I googled a lot. I used MSN search engine as well which is perticularly nice when finding info about M$ products. But they no where mentioned info how to identify POP3 address.

In deed I got in puzled. As 1 TechNet article said create a new SMTP connector as a POP3. Hmm..

From security prospective I am really worrying about SPAM and no doubt if POP3 is opened many spam's will try to enter my POP3 server.

I am looking for some flexible solution so my company's COO who got BlackBerry can get e-mails from my exchange server directly in the mail client software which he got in BlackBerry.

Thanx for the links. I'll check out these links.
      All in 1

Comment

Don't try and install the POP3 role as that will damage your Exchange deployment.
        Opening POP3 to the internet does not cause problems with SPAM as Spam is not sent via POP3, but by SMTP. POP3 is an authenticated protocol and is used for client to server communication.

The address of the server is whatever you are currently using. If you have email delivered directly to the server by MX records then you will already have a host name - for example mail.domain.com - you can use the same host name for POP3 accounts. Microsoft probably don't say anything because it is a very basic thing that is covered by DNS, not Exchange. Exchange doesn't care what you use to resolve the machine. You could use the server's external IP address, but DNS is the preferred option.

However, POP3 is a very poor email solution and should really be avoided.
        For remote access to email on Windows machines, RPC over HTTPS is the preferred solution.
        If you have Blackberry then to get the best from it you should be looking to deploy a BES or BES Express. BES Express is free for the first device and the cost of the CALS for the next 14 devices. This will give you the full feature set and does not require anything to be installed or ports to be opened to the internet.

Simon.
        --
        Simon Butler
        Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
        More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
        Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
        In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

Thanx for the info. I saw some web sites using pop3.pop.mailserver.com . Thats why I am in puzzle.

I already downloaded BlackBerry Express edition server with 1 free license. If more users will get added then I'll have to purcahse licenses. When Exchange has inbuilt options to sync with mobile devices my boss dont want to spend extra money. I hate management commity. They do cost cutting while buying servers and other IT products... etc etc.

I'll go for RPC over HTTPS as it's recomanded by many people.

Originally posted by Sembee View Post
          Don't try and install the POP3 role as that will damage your Exchange deployment.
          Opening POP3 to the internet does not cause problems with SPAM as Spam is not sent via POP3, but by SMTP. POP3 is an authenticated protocol and is used for client to server communication.

The address of the server is whatever you are currently using. If you have email delivered directly to the server by MX records then you will already have a host name - for example mail.domain.com - you can use the same host name for POP3 accounts. Microsoft probably don't say anything because it is a very basic thing that is covered by DNS, not Exchange. Exchange doesn't care what you use to resolve the machine. You could use the server's external IP address, but DNS is the preferred option.

However, POP3 is a very poor email solution and should really be avoided.
          For remote access to email on Windows machines, RPC over HTTPS is the preferred solution.
          If you have Blackberry then to get the best from it you should be looking to deploy a BES or BES Express. BES Express is free for the first device and the cost of the CALS for the next 14 devices. This will give you the full feature set and does not require anything to be installed or ports to be opened to the internet.

Simon.
          All in 1

Comment

Working...
          X