No announcement yet.

IIS/AD on one machine, Exchange on the

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IIS/AD on one machine, Exchange on the

Hi guys,

I've tried searching but couldn't find anything of any use so would really appreciate any help with this.

Basically, I've got two machines running Windows Server 2003 Enterprise.

One is a Domain Controller and runs IIS with SMTP and NNTP installed, let's call that A. The other is supposed to be the Exchange 2003 server and is known as B.

Now, when I try to install Exchange on B (after logging on with a domain account) I get a message telling me that IIS/SMTP and NNTP aren't installed, as you'd expect.

However, being on a domain, I would have thought machine B would be able to find those services running on machine A. Is this at all possible or just a losing battle? I was hoping to run Exchange and MSSQL on machine B leaving A to handle ICS and IIS.

Many thanks!

Re: IIS/AD on one machine, Exchange on the

Well, that's not the way it works mate. The machine running Exchange must have IIS + SMTP + NNTP prior to the installation of Exchange, and no, you cannot disable anything related to IIS if you value your current job. You can disable NNTP/POP3/IMAP4, and in fact they are disabled by default. But you MUST have IIS + SMTP installed.

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services