offline address list

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• offline address list

I try to create an offline addres list via the Exchange System Manager. I can specify the name of the offline address list, but the input field for the server is protected (grey), nothing can be entered. What's wrong in my AD?

Re: offline address list

nothing is wrong, you have to specify the server.

if you read the line above the greyed out text box, it is labeled "Offline address list SERVER"

put in the name of your orgs ex box.

thats all.
    its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
    Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

...except that he already said that it's greyed out and nothing can be entered...?

Tom
      For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

I really cannot enter anything. The box is protected. There is a search button next the protected (greyed) input field to choose any existing server for offline address lists. Clicking on that button is without any effect. The input field "server for offline address list" remains grey.

Comment

Originally posted by Stonelaughter View Post
          ...except that he already said that it's greyed out and nothing can be entered...?
          i know its greyed out... its supposed to be. you must allow AD to check the name. technically, you dont enter anything in the box, the sys man does.

as you can see from the attached thumbnails, the box remains greyed out thru the entire process...

you can give me karma now.
          Attached Files

Comment

Thank's for the explanation. It looks meaningful. But in my situation the "next" botton is blocked. I assume, the next botton is blocked until I specify the server or the AD suggests me any server. But neither I can input a server name (because the field is blocked) nor the AD shows any available server in that field.
            The only action I can do is abort

Comment

You can't click "Browse"?

Tom
              For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Yes, can't click "Browse". This is my problem.

Comment

Originally posted by pplex View Post
                  Yes, can't click "Browse". This is my problem.
                  i would format it and start over...

ok, maybe not, but if the browse button is greyed out, then why didnt you say that at the beginning?

do you have another exchange server anywhere?

are you just messing with us? i dont see any explanation for the 'browse' button being disabled... to me it just sounds impossible.

what is the status of the GAL? does the on-line address book work correctly? what happens when someone opens the address book in outlook?

also, try using alt+b instead of clicking on the link. does the underline alt helper show the line under the B in 'browse'??

please take a screen-shot of this and show me... i really want to see this for myself... and so i know your not just joshin me leg.

Comment

In my post of 17th October 2007, 16:49 I mentioned “There is a search button next the protected (greyed) input field to choose any existing server for offline address lists…”.
                    This is the browse botton. Excuse me for being not very precise.
                    Now to your questions:
                    I don’t have another exchange server.
                    The GAL is accessible in outlook. But it seems to be a local copy. When I try to download the GAL in outlook, I get the error (0x8004010F).
                    This is the very beginning of the problem.

The “Exchange best practices Analyzer tool” gives the error message:
                    ”The definition of the OAB is missing”.

The public folder in ESM show this:
                    ---> see OAB.jpg

OAB version 2 and OAB Version 3a seems to be existent.

When I click on the client rights of any folder of the public folders i.e. OAB Version xx, Internet Newsgroups and so on I get the error
                    ---> see 80040102.jpg (in English: invalid window handle)

The administartor rights of all that folders are shown correctly.

I use a German version of the ESM. The alt+b (of the English version) is there alt+s. Clicking this is without any effect.
                    ---> see Offlineadresslist.jpg

The application event log shows the error message "MSExchangeFBPublish event 8277" error no. 0x80004005

You are right, the best would be to format it and start over...
                    But how to save the data?
                    Because AD and Exchange are very close linked, I think I have to deinstall and reinstall the whole Exchange server.
                    Is there any cookbook how to export contacts and mailboxes and how to import them in a new installed Exchange server preferred in a separated AD test environment?
                    Thank's for your help.
                    Attached Files

Comment

I go abroad tomorrow. That's why I cannot care about this issue for the next three weeks. Nevertheless it keeps important. Maybe anybody has an idea.
                      The problem with the permissions (Invalid windows handle ID no: 80040102) is referred in the Microsoft kb 330508. But I didn't set any MAPI folder permissions outside the ESM. The information how to resolve that problem is described in kb3133333. But in this article they say the suggested utilities PFInfo and PFAdmin do not work with versions that were released after Exchange 2000 SP1. The version of my Exchange is 2003 SP2.

Comment

i would have to think that the problem is associated with the GAL being in a less than ideal state.

my thoughts... the issue with the offline address book will correct itself when the GAL is fixed, as the offline address book is dependent ont he GAL working.

using the sysman, try to rebuild the GAL. then, when the outlook clients can successfully download the address list, try to create the offline version.

as for how to start over and keep the configs, it depends on how big the org is and what your using in your environment.

i would say create a new ex box and migrate the mailstore over to the new, then gently squash the old box. definitely do a full backup of the existing server, including the mailstore and the system state. a ghost backup would suffice, in addition to an NT backup of the mailstores.

also make sure any certs are exported for use later.

good luck, and cya when you get back.

Comment

Working...
                        X