No announcement yet.

trying to send e-mail to a subdomain via a SMTP connector

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trying to send e-mail to a subdomain via a SMTP connector

Hi, long time no post, but this time I have a real brain pain of an issue.

in a nutshell

we have an exchange 2003 server hosting mail for several domains (all the same company) they have an application that is on a non domain server and it has an SMTP presence (i.e. it can send out e-mail from the software)
    I have created a subdomain for this software to try and maintain a degree of separation.
    I have added the subdomain to the exchange box, and to our firewall and have added mx records for the subdomain pointing to the external interface of the server.
    I have added a test AD account using solely the subdomain e-mail address.

I have also created a SMTP connector on the exchange server forwarding e-mail directly to the non domain server (ip address)

I can telnet successfully to and send via smtp an e-mail to this server, and can also send a test via "postie.exe" but if I try to send either externally or via localhost OWA, i get :
    Sent: Tue 16/10/2007 15:56
    To: Test User
    Subject: test e-mail via exchange

Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients. Subject: test e-mail via exchange Sent: 16/10/2007 15:56 The following recipient(s) could not be reached:

nondomain user on 16/10/2007 15:56
    A configuration error in the e-mail system caused the message to bounce between two servers or to be forwarded between two recipients. Contact your administrator.
    < #5.4.6>

help would really be appreciated her guys

many thanks

Re: trying to send e-mail to a subdomain via a SMTP connector

have you created a contact for this account?

not an AD account, but a contact...

that should allow the messages to be handled by exchange for non-domain members, if am understanding your situation.
    its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
    Give karma where karma is due...