Migrating users to new mailstore on same drive

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Migrating users to new mailstore on same drive

i have approx. 550 users in my exchange org.

currently, all users mailboxes are in the 'first storage group', which is a RAID 5 and has a total of 100 gigs.

i also use GFI mailarchiver and the dB for this is on a separate drive, with ~400 gigs (398 ) . all mail is archived prior to the user sending or receiving any messages.

my original intention was to have the users keep a clean inbox, and to use the archive for messages older than 90 days...

unfortunately, this did happen the way i wanted. my boss was scared to let me impose mail store limits (i know.. but i had no choice, go figure) and now im getting to deal with the pressure...

heres my setup:
    dell poweredge 1855; 2x3.6 xeon
    4 gigs of DDR running at 400mhz
    80 gigs internal stroage (2x40 gigs mirrored)
    mailstores, SMTP t-logs, SQL dB/t-logs, mailarchiver, etc, = all on separate drives of various RAID levels on an EMC powerpath DAE

as you can see, the hardware isnt cheap or slow by any means, but im still concerned with the amount of time it will take to move these mailstores and what will happen to the end users while its happening...

all i want to do is create a second storage group and move the entry level clients to the new storage group, where there will be some limitations to inbox size and retention policies in place...

what happens to the end user while mail boxes are being moved? i assume their mail box will be unavailable, yeah?

and how long do you think it will take? im thinking this will be a 12 hour move if i only move 350 of them, but i never have.. a ball park is all i need. right now the average users inbox is about 400 megs, but i have a few problem children that are pushing 950 megs to 1.2 gigs...

i know this is a very vague question, but any input or experiences would be appreciated. thanks guys!
    its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
    Give karma where karma is due...

Re: Migrating users to new mailstore on same drive

It is almost impossible to predict how long it will take. There are so many factors involved.
    You need to be wary of transaction log use as well as the database changes as well. Users will be locked out of the mailbox and any email for them will be queued.

Simon.
    --
    Simon Butler
    Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
    More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
    Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
    In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

I moved 800 users (300GB of email) in less than 8 hours. One thing I might recommend if you don't want to worry about the transaction log drive filling up and causing the move operation to crash is to temporarily turn on circular logging while doing the move and then turning it off after it's done. I would take a full backup before and after the moves. You may want to ask others for their input regarding the logging as my recommendation is only suitable to me and may not be the way others would do it.

Comment

thanks guys.. thats is about what i figured joeqwerty. i estimated about 6.5 hours from a little test i ran...

generic as it sounds, i took one account (John Q. Public) that has a 200 meg inbox and moved him back and forth 4 times and then created an average of the 4 runs...

525 messages...
        ~15 seconds to move them from 1 store to the other.

total of about 250,000 messages... or 60 gigs roughly.

well, you can do the math if you want. it should be about 4.62 hours to move them all (assuming they are all the same size, which they arent). and when put into perspective with joeqwerty's experience, that should be about right. i expect 4 hours flat.

thanks you guys about the t-log tip. i would have spaced and not taken that into consideration... and that would have sucked.
        its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
        Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

NP. Hopefully all goes well.

Comment

Working...
          X