Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to Connect Outlook to Exchange over Internet??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Connect Outlook to Exchange over Internet??

I run an Exchange Server (version 6.5.7638.1) on my home network and the family uses Outlook (2003) for contacts, calendaring, etc. - to coordinate schedules.

I'd like to be able to connect to the Exchange Server at home from my office over the Internet. I assumed that I could simply use port forwarding on my home network's router and just connect Outlook to whatever port is normally used by Exchange. But, it doesn't seem like it is this simple.

Has anybody done this? Can you point me to documentation anywhere or provide some simple instructions?

Thanks in advance for any help!

-- Mark

Re: How to Connect Outlook to Exchange over Internet??

Hi Mark,

Does your gateway and exchange have the same IP? What router have you got?

Once port 25 and 80 have been forwarded, you could either VPN in to your network and open Outlook, or purchase an SSL and use OWA.

Hope this helps.

Comment

No, gateway IP is assigned by Verizon. Exchange has a local IP (192.168.0.xxx). The router is supplied by Verizon. Seem pretty good. I was thinking that I could forward the appropriate ports to the Exchange box's local IP address. But, I don't know which ports to forward (and if more than one port is required). Also, can I configure Outlook to use "non standard" ports like 8081 for HTTP??

Comment

The easiest thing to do without having to use SSL, RPC over HTTP, OWA, etc., etc. would be to enable the IMAP or POP3 service on the Exchange server and use port forwarding on your router to forward IMAP (port 143) or POP3 (port 110) to your internal exchange server ip address. Then configure your external Outlook client to connect to the public ip address assigned to your router by Verizon using IMAP or POP3.

Comment

IMAP is a good possibility. But, I was really hoping to have a full Exchange type connection to Outlook, just like I do when I'm on the local network inside the WAN router. Is that not possible? Or is it really that difficult?

Thanks,

Mark

Comment

It is possible. You'll need to set up RPC over HTTP. It's not complicated but it is involved.

Comment

Just a heads up, that if your verizon is like my verizon, you do not get port 80.

and yes RPC over HTTPS is the way to go. There are countless articles on how to set this up here at Petri and elsewhere.
              "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Working...
              X