No announcement yet.

Exmerge Erroring Out

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exmerge Erroring Out

Hey All,

I am logging into the exchange server as admin and I am trying to perform an exmerge on a few mailboxes, but the process is not working.

I am selecting Extract or Import (Two Step Procedure), Step 1: Extract data from an Exchange Server Mailbox, enter the name of the exchange server, select mailbox, select US English as the default locale, set the location of the exmerged file, click next (without saving settings), then click finish.

The error is as it appears in the enclosed screenshot. The error says 'Operation completed. Errors were encountered. For more details please refer to the log file'.

The log file includes this line:

"Error opening message store (MSEMS). Verify that the Microsoft Exchange Information Store service is running and that you have the correct permissions to log on. (0x8004011d)"

The mailbox that is the product of this process is only 32kb large and is unusable.

Any help with this problem would be appreciated.
    Attached Files

Re: Exmerge Erroring Out

This is a blurb from the following url

To grant your administrative logon account temporary rights to read all mailboxes in an Exchange database

Create a Windows Security Group, and name it something such as "Exchange Recovery Administrators".

Add the Windows account you are using to run ExMerge to this group. This account should already be an Exchange administrator account and have local administrator permissions on the Exchange server(s) involved in the mailbox merge process.

In Exchange System Manager, locate the target database and open its Properties dialog box. On the Security tab, add the Exchange Recovery Administrators group and grant this group Full Control permissions on the database.

It may be necessary to wait up to 15 minutes for the permissions granted to take effect. Alternatively, you can reset cached permissions by stopping and restarting all Exchange services, the IIS Admin Service, and the Windows Management services. Because of this latency, you should grant necessary permissions as soon as you know you will need them, not just before you need to use them.

As of this writing, only Receive As permission is essential for ExMerge to function properly with a database running in an ordinary storage group. You can therefore restrict the Exchange recovery administrators group to this permission rather than Full Control. If granting only Receive As permission does not work, you should then grant Full Control as an initial troubleshooting step.

See if this helps your situation.

Also, are you attempting to do this remotely from a different OU in AD? If so, I would try to Remote in the box, drop the exmerge files, then dump the pst using exmerge to a share folder.

Thanks for the timely reply! I am trying this now, and waiting the 15 minutes for the changes to replicate to the server (as suggested).

We don't actually have a very sophisticated AD setup here. The Admin account is actually in the default Users container. I am using RPD to access the box (session 1).

Fingers crossed!

I tried everything that you suggested but I am still getting the same error. I made sure that "Exchange Recovery Administrators" has full access to the database, but still no good. Any other suggestions?

Thanks, and please let me know if you need more detail.

Exmerge can be a pain. The fact that the pst file is 32K is a definite indication that Exmerge is not working. Here is a simpler solution:

1. Log on to a workstation with a user account that has the appropriate permissions to the mailboxes you want to Exmerge.

2. Configure Outlook on this workstation to connect to the mailbox for the user in step 1. Make sure that the user has a mailbox first. If it doesn't, create one.

3. Configure Outlook to "Open these additional mailboxes:" on the Advanced tab of the Outllok account properties and add the mailboxes that you want to Exmerge.

4. Export each mailbox to a pst, making sure to select all folders and sub-folders of each mailbox. Name the pst files for each mailbox something like "username.pst".

5. You can do this one mailbox at a time or you can do them all at once.

Wow..that does seem easier.

I will keep that in mind...Thank you.

The log file includes this line:

"Error opening message store (MSEMS). Verify that the Microsoft Exchange Information Store service is running and that you have the correct permissions to log on. (0x8004011d)"

The mailbox that is the product of this process is only 32kb large and is unusable.

One question: Are the user accounts disabled?

I have the exact same issue, and my only valid solution was to make sure that the user account was enabled. (I have no frigging idea why having that user enabled is the key, but I imagine that there is some issue with not being able to receive mail from the account (impersonating the user) with the user disabled.)

I think there is a big problem with our Exchange setup, as this is not working as planned.

Mind you, if the user account is ENABLED, there is ZERO PROBLEM running ExMerge.

I have seen this problem all over the internet, and this solution has worked for me. I would hope that someone else can corrobate my story, and/or fully explain this issue, so that when someone googles for this question, they receive a valid answer.