No announcement yet.

Turn Off mail forwarding but keep Mailbox

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turn Off mail forwarding but keep Mailbox

My admin, who has recently left the company created a contact in AD that has that particular user's email forwarded to an external email address (hotmail).
    That user requested to have the mail fowarding stopped, but still wants to use the Exchange mail account.

So, I right-clicked on the users' Contact (Forwarder) and removed the Exchange attributes. The user is still in AD and under the Exchange tab, he still has his exchange information.
    The problem is that I am not sure if this was the correct way to delete the mail forwarder while still allowing the user to use his regular email address.

I ask if I did this correctly because when I type a new email to that person, I get an undeliverable status, but the user states that he did receive it. The error that I get is:

did not reach the following recipient(s):

Joe Bob on Tue, 9 Oct 2007 09:40:59 -0400
    The e-mail address could not be found. Perhaps the recipient moved to a different e-mail organization, or there was a mistake in the address. Check the address and try again.
    <blah.doubleblah.local #5.1.0>
    I have confirmed that multiple people within the organization are receiving the same error when trying to send him an email. Even though this error is being sent to the sender, the recipient is receiving all of his mail.

Does anyone know what I need to do to remediate this error?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Exchange 2003 SP2
    User is on OWA

Last edited by prleo1; 9th October 2007, 16:20.

Re: Turn Off mail forwarding but keep Mailbox

why don't you simple remove the forwarding?
    Csaba Papp
    MCSA+messaging, MCSE, CCNA
    Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate