Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Renamed user problem surfaces after 5 years

Hi guys. Odd problem here.

~5 years ago while we were on Exchange 2000 a user (lets call him Bob) left and was replaced. Instead of creating a new account, the IT guy just renamed Bob's account and gave it to the new user (call him Joe). Everything worked fine until recently. Now occasionally when any internal user e-mails Joe they'll get the following
    The following recipient(s) cannot be reached:

Bob on 10/4/2007 07:40 AM

The e-mail account does not exist at the organization this message was sent to. Check the e-mail address, or contact the recipient directly to find out the correct address.

<exchange.mydomain.com #5.1.1>
    What's interesting is that even though the sender will get a NDR, Joe will still get the e-mail. Also it doesn't happen every time you send him an e-mail. It's very infrequent making it tough to debug.

We've been on Exchange 2003 for the last couple years and I can't find any trace of Bob in Active Directory. The account seems to be properly configured for Joe.

I've never run into anything like this. Any ideas?
    Thanks in advance!

Re: Renamed user problem surfaces after 5 years

Not sure how to fix this, but honestly, I'd slap the "IT guy" who did this! Always disable term'd employees' AD accounts, not rename.

AFAIK, the only solution may be to delete / recreate them in AD and/or Exchange, but I'd wait on the response from someone more experienced in this before you go ahead and make any changes.
    ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Wired View Post
      Not sure how to fix this, but honestly, I'd slap the "IT guy" who did this! Always disable term'd employees' AD accounts, not rename.
      If it wasn't so cliche for an IT guy to criticize his predecessors I'd have more to say about this guy. Suffices to say this isn't the first cleanup I've had to do.
      AFAIK, the only solution may be to delete / recreate them in AD and/or Exchange, but I'd wait on the response from someone more experienced in this before you go ahead and make any changes.
      Yea, that's what I'm thinking but I want to exhaust all options before I do.

Comment

Does the originator pick "Joe" from the GAL in Outlook, or are they using the AutoComplete to pick his name?

If it's from the GAL, well, sorry, got nothing. If it's autocomplete, tell them to start typing "joe" and hit delete when autocomplete suggests the address. Then pick Joe's name from the GAL and resend.

(re: renaming vs. copying a disabled account) - old NT4 administrators renamed accounts, maintaining SID history and permissions on file shares, and MS best practices (at the time) suggested it.
        Last edited by panmunjom; 5th October 2007, 08:56. Reason: .

Comment

Originally posted by panmunjom View Post
          Does the originator pick "Joe" from the GAL in Outlook, or are they using the AutoComplete to pick his name?

If it's from the GAL, well, sorry, got nothing. If it's autocomplete, tell them to start typing "joe" and hit delete when autocomplete suggests the address. Then pick Joe's name from the GAL and resend.

(re: renaming vs. copying a disabled account) - old NT4 administrators renamed accounts, maintaining SID history and permissions on file shares, and MS best practices (at the time) suggested it.
          I wish it was that easy. They're using the correct e-mail address. We have one leftover Exchange 2000 server that we're FINALLY getting rid of and I'm hoping it's something related to that server.

Comment

That looks like a delegate problem. It could be a stale delegate somewhere in he domain. Does the user use delegates at all?

Simon.
            --
            Simon Butler
            Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
            More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
            Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
            In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

Originally posted by Sembee View Post
              That looks like a delegate problem. It could be a stale delegate somewhere in he domain. Does the user use delegates at all?

Simon.
              Yea that's exactly what it was. There weren't any delegates in his list but the grayed out "Send meeting requests and responses to my delegates" check box was checked. I added a delegate user, unchecked the box, and removed the user and so far I haven't seen another NDR. Sweet.

Comment

Re: Thanks for sharing

Thanks for sharing your answer with us! I'm sure others will also benefit from knowing what was wrong and how you fixed it.

However, we'de appreciate it if you could grant some reputation points to the user that helped you. Just click on the little Yin-Yang icon on the right of the user's answer and follow the prompt.
                Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
                MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Re: Thanks for sharing

Originally posted by danielp View Post
                  Thanks for sharing your answer with us! I'm sure others will also benefit from knowing what was wrong and how you fixed it.

However, we'de appreciate it if you could grant some reputation points to the user that helped you. Just click on the little Yin-Yang icon on the right of the user's answer and follow the prompt.
                  Well technically I had it solved that morning but I gave him the cred anyway.

Comment

Working...
                  X