Corrupt profile, GAL not updating

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corrupt profile, GAL not updating

I had to delete a user in AD this morning, not a huge deal since I'm renaming everyone anyway.

When I delted her, I recreated her email address. It went from [email protected] to [email protected].

My GAL hasn't updated her information yet and I have no clue how to go in and edit the Global Address List.

This is an inherited network from two other Systems Admins who really didn't know what they were doing, and now I'm left to clean up and not skip a beat.

Any ideas? I'll appologize in advance for stupid questions.

Thanks,
    Todd
    My job consists of 30% luck, 50% knowledge and skill and 20% total BS.

Re: Corrupt profile, GAL not updating

you need to go to your system manager and go to the 'recipients' section on the left hand side.

extend the tab, and then highlight the 'recipient update services' folder.

on the right hand side, right-click on the "Recipient Update Service (YOUR_DOMAIN)" item in the 'name' column, and select "update now"...

do the same for the other entry with the (Enterprise) as well.

if you have time and it wont effect your users, you can rebuild them also. it does make an impact on Exchange performance, so use with caution if you have a high volume of Exchange clients.

the final step involves you giving me some karma. heehee... (im karma whoring these days, sorry)
    its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
    Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

You got Karma for helping me out, but it didn't work as far as updating my users information.

Not just because of this problem but because everything is so FUBAR, I think I'm just going to rebuild everything while we're still small. We only have about 50 users right now and it would be easier to do it now than wait until later.

I've got three servers so it shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks for the advice!

Comment

No wait! Don't rebuild yet.

What you're experiencing is normal behavior.

Outlook uses a cached version of the GAL. Check OWA and you should see an up-to-date GAL (because of the steps James had you take)

For more information on how Outlook uses the Offline Address Book see here
        http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=841273
        Last edited by JeremyW; 3rd October 2007, 00:27.
        Regards,
        Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
        Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
        www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Outlook will only use the cached OAL if it is in cached mode (which is the default but shouldn't be assumed). When you say that your GAL hasn't updated her information yet do you mean that the GAL does not show the recipient or do you mean that she does not yet have the new email address (because you referenced changing her email address)? The two are mutually exclusive but "managed" by the same component, the RUS. I would suggest doing an update rather than a rebuild of the RUS. Also, bring up the properties of the GAL and click the preview button to see if the user is listed. If the problem is with the email address creation, then go to the Recipient Polcy and right click it and select "Apply this policy now". Make sure that the "Automatically update email addresses based on recipient policy" is checked on the E-mail addresses tab of the user properties first.

Comment

Alright, so I lied...

It did update the GAL!

Karma vibes to everyone who helped!

Yeah, it was that the GAL showed her but hadn't updated her "new" email address.

Once I did the update through the system manager it worked, it just took time to synch up maybe.

Now, I'm on to figure out how to create groups in the Global Address List, I think I have a handle on it but I'm not sure.

Today I get to go through AD and remove disabled users and clean up my Exchange Server!

I've been a tech so long that it's hard for me to sit in front of a computer and say it's work (but it DEFINITLEY is) so this is weird for me.

Comment

Thanks Joe for the clarification. I should have noted that.

tplatt, glad everything's working out for you.

For creating groups in the GAL:
              - create a Distribution group
              - right-click and select Exchange Tasks and choose Establish E-mail Address on Groups
              - add members
              Regards,
              Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
              Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
              www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Working...
              X