Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to setup Frontend and backend

Hello,
    This is my first Post here and hope all my problem will be solved with this forum.
    I have 3 server windows server 2000 and Exchange 2003 running on old servers .
    now I bought 3 new server and I want to do one front end and 2 back end .

1. how to backup the exchange from the old to new without any problem knowing I will install windows 2003 server .
    2. how to do back end I don't know how to setup a backend server how to do 2 backend . and why they use backend and could we use backedn as a culster, mean if one of the backend fail the other will work inested of .
    thanks,

Re: how to setup Frontend and backend

1. Are you going to blow away the old domain and make a new one or add the new boxes to the domain and add new Exchange installs? If you're going to add the new boxes to the current domain, you can install exchange as additional servers in the domain, and then move the mailboxes from the old server to the new one(s).

If you are going to create a new domain, Exmerge is probably the way to go. That will export all the mailboxes to PST files. You just need to be sure none of the mailboxes are larger then 2GB or you'll end up with a corrupt PST. You can then use Exmerge to import the PST's into the new mailboxes.

2. A default install of Exchange is more or less a back end server. A to create a front end server, you set up another server, remove the public store from it, and in ESM, go to "Administrative Groups" => {Administrative Group} => "Servers", right-click your server, and in the "General" Tab, there is a check box with "This is a front end server" next to it. Check that box and you have a front end server.

I may have missed something, so here's a Microsoft on Front-End/Back-End setup.

Comment

Thank you very much,
      you answered me all my questions but only one thing how to do 2 backend server . I don't understand how to do backend server .

Comment

Originally posted by hdamis View Post
        Thank you very much,
        you answered me all my questions but only one thing how to do 2 backend server . I don't understand how to do backend server .
        You don't need to do anything special. Just install Exchange. The only one you need to do anything special with is the Front End.

Comment

I don't understand how to tell the front-end that where yours back-end servers.
          suppose I install exchange server on one server and did it as a front-end, and install exchange server on tow other to store mail boxes how to tell the first front end that these tow server are your back-end.
          thanks.

Comment

You don't need to. Exchange knows where the mailboxes reside, so when you set up the FE/BE servers and have the clients connect to the FE server, it will automatically connect to the right server. If you have "Pete's" mailbox on ServerA and "Joe's" on ServerB, when they connect to the FE, it will send their connection to the right place. If you decide to move "Pete's" mailbox from ServerA to ServerB, Exchange will know this and automatically connect him to ServerB.

Comment

Working...
            X