No announcement yet.

uninstall exchange failing-just want to verify my ideas

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• uninstall exchange failing-just want to verify my ideas

ok we have/had Exchange 2003 running on a DC (bad idea, i know). my goal has been to move to a new server, uninstall exchange from original server and demote it and use it for other purposes. end result will be exchange running solo on its own server.

i now have exchange running on a new server (non-DC) and followed steps in kb 822931. things work great.

however, now that i am trying to unisntall Exchange from the original server and i get the following error:

The component "Microsoft Exchange Messaging and Collaboration Services" cannot be assigned the action "Remove" because: -one or more users currently use a mailbox store on this server. These users must be moved to a mailbox store on a different server or be mail disabled before uninstalling this server.

The only mailboxes in the Store are:
    SMTP size 0kb
    System Attendant size 0kb
    SystemMailbox size 361kb

All mailboxes have been moved, but I know that not everyone has used Outlook since I have moved the mailbox (we have staff that does not use email often, if at all). i know that outlook will automatically configure to the new server as long as both are running.
    would this be the reason for the message? is there something i am missing?

Re: uninstall exchange failing-just want to verify my ideas

Those mailboxes will not be the cause of the problem.
    The error can be triggered by mail enabled accounts that have never been used. If they haven't been used or received email then the mailboxes were never created in the database.
    At the end of my migration article I have a technique on how to find those mailboxes:

Simon Butler
    Exchange MVP

More Exchange Content:
    Exchange Resources List:
    In the UK? Hire me:

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Re: uninstall exchange failing-just want to verify my ideas

WOOT! you know, that is one of my saved links i was referring to while i started planning for this process... should have read through it one more time!

culprit(s): 3 mailboxes (2 were never used, 1 was from a former employee - disabled, but not removed)

worked like a charm! Thanks!