Exchange Internet email not getting out

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange Internet email not getting out

hi, we have a single exchange 2003 server on our network, which was working quite happily until Monday, when our service provider installed a new proxy server. we are a school.

now it receives internet email and works internally, but it will not send any external emails.

now obviously it looks like the exchange server is being blocked somewhere with the new proxy server change, and i have escalated the issue to the service provider.

however, i wondered if anyone had any ideas on how i can rule out dns and ad replication as that has been muted as the issue by the service provider (seems strange it would happen as they change something ).

i have tried to use dnslint and it seems to indicate that all is OK, and i get no errors when i force a replication with my 3 dc's through sites etc.

the messages that have been blocked are all sitting in the queues under the server in system manager, i have tried to force them either en masse or one by one, but no joy.

does anyone have any ideas what i should be looking at to make sure its not my end, and what i can pass onto the service provider so that they can check stuff.

thanks in adavance

Re: Exchange Internet email not getting out

Hi Jesta

Could it be they have not updated your mx records when they did the move? just an idea. I am very new to exchange so sorry if i am wrong.

Regards[/I]

Comment

i don't think so, they had a record of the external ip it was originally setup with, and it was pointing to our internal ip so that should have been the same, i think the mx record (i am new at this as well) should point to the hosting provider who i don't think has changed, just the proxy server. is that right?

they are looking into it at their end, and say its right.

only issue is now i am getting a smtp dns error on my exchange server when its pointing to our internal dns server.

its 2012 and 2013 does anyone know how to fix it, i have run netdiag from the email server and tested dns and its passed.

Comment

If it receives external email and works internally then AD has nothing to do with it. Also, the MX record for your domain has nothing to do with you sending email out, it is used by external email servers sending to you, not the other way around.Try running nslookup from the server and see if it can find MX records for the domains you are sending to. If it can then DNS is not the problem. Check to see if your server is forwarding to a smart host, if so then check that out. Look at the SMTP log on the server and see if you can find any outbound SMTP connections to domains you are sending to. Verify that the provider allows outbound SMTP connections from the ip address of your server.

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
          If it receives external email and works internally then AD has nothing to do with it. Also, the MX record for your domain has nothing to do with you sending email out, it is used by external email servers sending to you, not the other way around.Try running nslookup from the server and see if it can find MX records for the domains you are sending to. If it can then DNS is not the problem. Check to see if your server is forwarding to a smart host, if so then check that out. Look at the SMTP log on the server and see if you can find any outbound SMTP connections to domains you are sending to. Verify that the provider allows outbound SMTP connections from the ip address of your server.
          hi, thanks for that, i have now got it running, the new proxy server did things differently and it was our dns server causing the issue, but only because of the change and the way the new proxy box is configured.

Comment

Working...
          X