Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multiple email domains on one server Exchange 2003

Hi there,

I have been searching for a solution to this simple problem. I have a couple of domains that I would like to host their email within a test machine that I have set up. One domain is already configured with users and email accounts. Basically I am trying to simulate a scenario where I was hosting another company's email. This would include seperate users that did not belong to the host domain. I did come across a guide here http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/MF010.html but it tended to miss out steps or not describe them very well.

I have previously configured something similar on a win2003 box about 6 months ago but I would like to try with exchange server 2003. From what I have read, organisational units and recipient policies are the key. If someone was able to point me in the right direction I would be most grateful.

Thanks in advance,

Jewen.

Re: Multiple email domains on one server Exchange 2003

This article helped me to configure hosting for multiple email domains for multiple companies in Exchange 2003 and Windows 2003 AD. We host email for about 100 different companies. The only caveat is getting separate OAL's for each company to work (which isn't described in the article). If you need help with the OAL's, let me know and I'll post the instructions we used.

http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/...003_Part1.html
    Last edited by joeqwerty; 5th September 2007, 03:37.

Comment

Thanks for the reply, Unfortunately the link that you have sent is the same article that I was having trouble with in the first place. I pretty much follow everything up until the recipient policy is being configured. The article in my mind seems to miss out on the steps needed to set up filter rules to associate the new policy with the users or groups that you wish to apply it to. There are screen shots that have no description whatsoever. I am very new to server 2003 but feel that I am getting a reasonable grasp of the subject. Furthermore Many of the posts that I have read on the subject seem to confuse setting up additional email addresses with existing accounts, rather than new accounts with completely different addresses. Its should be a fairly easy task to complete, comparable to hosting multiple web sites on a server using host headers.

Regards,

Jewen.

Comment

We create an OU and a GAL group for each hosted company and then use the group in a custom LDAP filter on the Recipient Policy. Each hosted company has it's own Recipient Policy. We then remove the Everyone and Authenticated Users security principals from the security tab of each Recipient Policy and add the GAL group for the company. Here's a sample of our LDAP filter:

(&(&(&(&(ObjectCategory=*)(memberOf=CN=Company Gal Rights,OU=Company,OU=Terminal Servers & Users,DC=domain,DC=com)))))

Comment

OK, I am a nearly with you. However what choices do I use to filter this policy to the group that I have created. I have got as far as the following:

In system manager I have right clicked on recipient policies.
          Chosen to create a new policy.
          Named the policy.
          Added a new smtp email address and set as the primary address.
          Chosen to modify the filter rules.
          Chosen option in list to create a custom policy.
          Now I am stuck

What field name do I choose to create this policy to apply to a group? If I choose group there is a submenu to choose with other options eg members alias, users, descriptions etc. Which one?

My problem is with the filter that I need to use to just apply this policy to the group that I have created. I have played about with default filters and I am nearly there but not quite I think.

The best result I have managed is to get users set up and joined them to the security group, but in their properties their email shows up but it is not showing up in the active directory console as the primary address that I have set in the policy. It still shows the domain default address.

I think that I am so close!

Edit Whilst writing this I rebooted the exchange server and now all the users in the domain have the email addresses that were only to be applied to a particular group. Nearly but not !!

A little bit more help please.
          Regards

Jewen.
          Last edited by jewen; 5th September 2007, 16:42. Reason: reboot of server

Comment

When you select the Custom Search option you need to switch from the Custom Search tab to the Advanced tab. You will then see a text box labeled "Enter LDAP query". This is where you should paste your LDAP query. The Custom Search tab should be blank. Your LDAP query should be based on the DN of the group that the users are members of. You can get the DN of the group by using ADSIedit. Make sure that in the Recipient Policy you set the appropriate email address as the primary SMTP address.

Comment

I appreciate the time that you have devoted to my post. However as good as your suggestion is surely there must be a way when modifying the filter rule so that a policy is only going to affect a group and members of that group from within the resulting dialog box that is displayed. This must be done as a common task with exchange and I can't believe that I need to use another utility to specify what the filter is.

If I choose a custom search and select USERS That are members of a group called example group then select Find and then choose the group displayed. Would that work.

I only want to apply this policy to one group within a OU that users will become members of.

Thanks

Jewen.

Comment

There may be other ways of specifying an appropriate filter but I only know the way we do it. Sorry I can not be of more help. Good luck though.

Comment

Ok I have now managed to figure out the filter rule. However when I select the group that I want to filter and apply it to, the recipient policy it seems to apply the new email addresses as primary to everone but the group that I have selected in the filter. In the properties of the users of the filtered group the new email address does appear although it is not set as primary. It is as if It is doing the reverse of what I want. My filter statement that is produced is as follows:

(&(objectCategory=group)(cn=sales*))

Therefore I want a new email address aplied only to members of the security group called sales.

Ok I know the above queery is wrong. It only applies the filter rule to the group.

I tried the following criteria but it didn't come up with anything on a custom search

field = user - member of - value sales. Currently I have 2 users who are members of the sales group.

Could anyone comment on my logic?

Regard,

Jewen.
                  Last edited by jewen; 6th September 2007, 15:18. Reason: testing policy

Comment

Hi,

I am not rying to hijack your post, i am new to exchange and about to do a notes to exchange 2003 migration (which is going to be fun), and i am not to sure if the resolution to your problem will be the same as mine, so any help would be great.

I have one site, one domain and one exchange 2003 server. But i have two companies that log onto the same domain but they have two email addresses.

I am very confused about this

Once again sorry if i hijacked post

Comment

No problem at all, the more the merrier. I think my problem is with the search criteria not being able to find users that belong to groups. I have added users to the sales group yet when I do a custom search of users being members of sales and add it to the search criteria nothing is shown. They do belong to the group. It is very strange behaviour.

Anyway you are correct in your usumption that this would help resolve your future scenario. I am just getting caught up in the recipient policy. I think if I initially applied the policy to an individual user that was created in the domain would allow me to proceed. The article that I used for guidence will be helpful its just I am stuck trying apply a policy to a group.

A resource that might be useful to you with regard to recipient policy in exchange is as follows:

http://searchexchange.techtarget.com...119797,00.html

Its perfect for my group filter but when i try it on my server it doesn't work.

Regards,

Jewen.

Comment

Maybe these articles will help.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/304516

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/253770/

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/253828/

Comment

Thanks very much guys,

i will read the docs today and see how i get on. I am really not looking forward to this lotus to exchange migration.

Comment

Working...
                          X