Exchanger Server 2003 Standard, Storage Groups and Transaction Logs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchanger Server 2003 Standard, Storage Groups and Transaction Logs

I have searched the forum but can't find any definite answer to this. Hope someone here can help me.

The exchange documentation reads:

"These databases (or "stores") are organized into storage groups. If you are using Exchange Server 2003 Standard version, each Exchange server can have one storage group, which contains one mailbox store and one public folder store."

Does this mean I can have ONLY one storage group per Exchange Server 2003 Standard version. Does SP2 make any difference to the number of Storage Groups per Exchange Server 2003 Standard?

For additional Storage groups (for enterprise edition at least), should I share the same transaction log location? (i.e. can all storage groups share the same transaction log).

Appreciate if someone here can clarify these questions.

Thank you

VJ

Re: Exchanger Server 2003 Standard, Storage Groups and Transaction Logs

1. Yes - The STD version has only one storage group (5 DB: 1 PF + 4 MBX).
    2. NO - SP2 doesn't change anything related to the number of storage groups.
    3. Yes - All databases in the same Storage Group share the same transuction logs.
    CNE 5, CCA, MCSE NT4.0-2003, MCSE 2003 messaging, Exchange Server MVP.
    Tzahi Kolber - IT Supervisor
    Polycom Israel.

Comment

Hi tkolber,

Thanks for your reply.

"The STD version has only one storage group (5 DB: 1 PF + 4 MBX)."

Does this mean 1 Public Folder + 4 Mailbox stores? I can't seem to create an additional mailbox in my First Storage Group. It gives me an error : "This storage group already contains the maximum number of stores allowed". I only have 2 stores. one pub and one priv

"All databases in the same Storage Group share the same transuction logs."
      Does this mean that if I create a Second Storage Group, I should use a different Transaction Log location? (eg. First Storage Group Transaction Logs in e:\program files\exchsvr\mdbdata and Second Storage Group Transaction Logs in e:\program files\exchsvr\mdbdata2). OR Can both Storage Groups share the same transaction log?

Comment

I think he meant "1 MBX Store + up to 4 PF Stores". BTW, as far as I know, only 1 MBX + 1 PF are officially supported, and many documentations fail to obesrve the fact that you can create 4 PFs and not just 1.

As for the second part of your question - Yes, creating additional SGs will create additional sets of logfiles. Don't forget that the Std. Edition will not allow you to do that.
        Cheers,

Daniel Petri
        Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
        MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Hi Daniel,
          Thank you for your response. I am sorry for sounding like a parrot.

But when I create a new Storage Group, do I set the Transaction Log in the same location. Maybe I was not clear earlier, so maybe I will rephrase my question.

My First Storage Group logs the Transaction logs to C:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\MDBDATA.

When I create the second group do I set the the Transaction Log location to the same C:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\MDBDATA.

Will I be able to differentiate the logs if they are logging to the same location?

Thanks

Comment

Yes:
            "1 MBX Store + up to 4 PF Stores". BTW, as far as I know, only 1 MBX + 1 PF are officially supported

Got confused with Exchange 2007 STD....

For changing the log file location (for all DBs in the same SG):
            http://www.petri.com/move_exchange_s...erent_disk.htm
            CNE 5, CCA, MCSE NT4.0-2003, MCSE 2003 messaging, Exchange Server MVP.
            Tzahi Kolber - IT Supervisor
            Polycom Israel.

Comment

Originally posted by cent9ur View Post
              My First Storage Group logs the Transaction logs to C:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\MDBDATA.

When I create the second group do I set the the Transaction Log location to the same C:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\MDBDATA.

Will I be able to differentiate the logs if they are logging to the same location?

Thanks
              You should place transaction log files and databases on separate physical HDs.

Ideally, 3 storage groups with 1 store in each should be placed on 6 separate HDs or LUNs.
              Cheers,

Daniel Petri
              Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
              MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Working...
              X