Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MX Record - anything else

Hello,

Our company changed ISP's (with new static IP) and I wanted to know if all we had to do was call our domain name company and change the MX record or if I had to also change things on this end?

We are running exchange on Windows 2003 SBS server.

Thanks!

Re: MX Record - anything else

If your domain name company maintains your DNS records, all that is required is to update your mx and host records to point to the static IP that has been allocated to you, by your new ISP. Normally the domain name companies provide a web based management console that allows dns records to be edited. No doubt a phone call would do also.

Hope this helps.

Jewen.

Comment

Originally posted by jewen View Post
      If your domain name company maintains your DNS records, all that is required is to update your mx and host records to point to the static IP that has been allocated to you, by your new ISP. Normally the domain name companies provide a web based management console that allows dns records to be edited. No doubt a phone call would do also.

Hope this helps.

Jewen.
      Yeah, i geuss i fired this off prematurely. They finally changed it and it's all working. The company we use doesn't allow the users to change it. Required 2 phone calls.

Comment

I suppose its too late now, but in general when changing IP's and updating MX records, you can add your new IP as a lower (higher number) priority a week or two in advance. Then when you do the switch, emails will continue to flow with very minimal interruption. Its hardly foolproof but makes for a smooth(er) transition.
        Once you are full switched you can remove the older IP from your DNS record.
        "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Working...
        X