Rejecting mail from just one source?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rejecting mail from just one source?

We are running Exchange 2003. We receive email for our domain1.com and one other due to a company name change years ago. We'll call the other domain2.com. Our mail seems to run solid. No user or customer complaints. Users can receive email to Outlook with either address.

My web developer recently created a mail form at our website that is hosted externally. I don't know much about web developement.

His form sends mail to [email protected]. The mail never arrives. We can sucessfully send mail to that account from hotmail.com, yahoo.com and any other source we choose. We get the same failure if we use any account in the domain1.com domain via his form.

When he modifies his form to send mail to [email protected] it arrives with no problem.

I am stumped as to why is doesn't work. The web developer seems to think it is because our internal domain name is also domain1.com, which is something I want to change to just domain1 but I am leery of doing.....

I can't think of why that would make his form at an external website fail but allow all other email through.

Please help.

Re: Rejecting mail from just one source?

The emails are probably going to the webserver itself. Often web packages include email boxes; in your case will never be used. Since the webserver domain name and the email domain name is the same, any internally generated emails (from the webserver) will be delivered locally (to the webserver) since it considers itself the master of the domain. Check the mailbox on that server you will find them all there.
    "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I didn't think about that, but it makes sense. I've had hosting services that used to send any email at your domain name to the admin mailbox. I now know what you are talking about.

We have since checked, and the email portion of our hosting is not set up at all according to the ISP. TH options int he control panel are all at default, ready for initial setup. However, we have had problems with them before and they seem to be a bit flakey.

I'll keep looking for other causes (even though your explanation could be the solution) until we switch hosting companies.

Comment

I have this problem all the time with hosting companies.
        Even though the mailboxes are not setup, their systems are configured to presume that they are. The domain is added to their mail servers, which means that the servers do not even look at the MX records for the domain.

Trying to get the host to change this behaviour can be close to impossible.

Simon.
        --
        Simon Butler
        Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
        More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
        Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
        In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

Originally posted by Sembee View Post
          I have this problem all the time with hosting companies.
          Even though the mailboxes are not setup, their systems are configured to presume that they are. The domain is added to their mail servers, which means that the servers do not even look at the MX records for the domain.

Trying to get the host to change this behaviour can be close to impossible.

Simon.
          Exactly. Even if email capabilities are not setup, email to the same domain will be "delivered" locally.

I would just use that second domain you have.
          "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Thanks everyone!

Comment

Working...
            X