No announcement yet.

Slow Communication and Timeouts from 1 IP Address

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow Communication and Timeouts from 1 IP Address

Having a difficult issue with e-mail on an SBS 2003 server with Exchange. There is 1 domain that cannot send em to us. When they try a telnet session it gets timed out and does not respond and then just drops the connection. We are running a Netscreen 5GT firewall. Exchange 2003 with SP2 and we are using the IMF. I tried disabling all filters and allowed everything through. Does not change a thing except that now everyone is getting alot of spam, so we re-enabled it.

Everyone else can send e-mail to us but this 1 IP address.

Have the tech over there working on it as well but no luck.

I have used dnsstuff, mxtoolbox, etc.

Any thoughts?

Re: Slow Communication and Timeouts from 1 IP Address

If it is one IP address which cannot connect to you then there is very little you can do. Probably something conflicting. Do you know what the other side is using for email? I would suggest that they look at routing email for you via their ISP.
    Not that common problem, but not unheard of either.

Simon Butler
    Exchange MVP

More Exchange Content:
    Exchange Resources List:
    In the UK? Hire me:

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Re: Slow Communication and Timeouts from 1 IP Address

Well there are several things you could look at, but to try and narrow things down I would suggest this:

Put a temporary computer (with telnet server software installed) on the outside of your firewall and give it a public ip address. Then have them telnet to this computer. If they have the same problem then you can rule out your firewall, internal network, and email server as the problem and look at the router, communication line, etc. If the problem goes away then you can concentrate on looking at your internal network. At least this will let you focus on one direction or the other as the cause of the problem.