Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Configure excahnge to route internal email with SMTP connector

Hello all,

This is my first posting in this forum, so first I would like to thank Daniel Petri for the amazing wealth of useful information!

Now to my question:
    I would like to configure the exchange SMTP connector to route all outgoing emails through the SMTP connector. By default it will not externally route local email, which makes sense - however imposes a problem: it prevents from rules defined on the hosting to work on internal emails.

Here is the situation:
    The exchange server is not accessible publicly on the internet.
    The exchange is on a domain server named "mydomain.local"
    It pops the messages from the hosting company which hosts our web and mail: "mycompany.com".
    It relays messages through a smarthost that send the messages with our ISP: "myisp.net"
    Users have in Active Directory a SMTP address of [email protected]
    When user1 sends a message to user2 - it gets there immediately, without leaving the domain.
    All other messages use the smarthost and get delivered properly.

I want to force internal messages to also use the SMTP connector, to go through the hosting and get popped back into exchange. Yes, it is a longer route but it has some advantages. There would still be a few instances where I may not want to do that, for example when sending emails to locval addresses attached to public folders.

Thanks in advance
    --Foosy

P.S.
    I know many of you oppose using exchange in such a way which pops messages from the hosting, instead of setting it as the MX destination. I am not debating if this makes sense or not. There are certain advantages of using it like this for certain organizations.

Re: Configure excahnge to route internal email with SMTP connector

This is probably one of the most "artistic" methods of using Exchange I've ever heard of.

Duhhh...

Anyway, you might not be able to do that. Exchange "sees" one domain as internal, and therefore all emails destined for it will not be routed externally. What you want to do is to break it, to force it to use a different logic. The only way I can think of to stop it from doing it is to NOT let is "see" that domain as internal (i.e. remove the domain from the default recipient policy), but then it will refuse to accept any email to it.

Sorry mate, I can't think of any creative way to ruin your Exchange server.
    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Originally posted by Foosy View Post
      I am not debating if this makes sense or not. There are certain advantages of using it like this for certain organizations.
      Out of pure curiosity, what are these advantages?
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I figured this "method" is making certain people puke at the idea...
        However it does have the following advantages for SMALL organizations.
        These advantages are as follows:

1. In places where there are down times such as:
        a. internet connectivity is DSL or cable and there are no SLAs
        b. power outages that last longer than an hour
        c. exchange is on the only company server which requires frequent updates , maintenance and reboots
        d. failures in server

2. In places where security is of utmost concern and server has to block all communications from the internet

There are additional advantages, maybe not as strong, however still exist such as: removing SPAM and viruses at the ISP level

Hosting the email on a reliable hosting company which provides guaranteed SLAs is much cheaper than building the infrastructure locally or having the company buy a dedicated server that can be collocated at an ASP.

I know this solution is not for every situation, however the advantages above are real.

Foosy

Comment

But if you are routing local messages through the Exchange Server and then onto the ISP and BACK to your exchange server, you are not preventing
          1a) as a DSL outage will block internal mail
          1c) as a Exchange server is still required
          1d) Ditto
          2) as Internet comms are now required for all messages

Not sure about 1b, as it would depend on what is out

Am I missing something obvious here?

Tom
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I'm sorry Foosy, but I totally disagree. There is NOT ONE SINGLE BENEFIT for doing it the way YOU want to do it.

For example:

If you want to resolve WAN outages you do NOT route internal mail to the ISP and back...

If you want to fight spam, you use your ISP or a 3rd party vendor to filter your email and then send them to your server, plus you can use the built-in Exchange anti spam capabilities + 3rd party tools and appliances.

If you want to override power outages you use a good UPS.

If you want redundancy for receiving incoming email in case of an Exchange failure you use a mail relay product, and/or use another MX record (your ISP for example) with a higher priority than the regular one.

and so on.

Sorry, nothing you'll say will convince me that YOUR reasoning is better.
            Last edited by danielp; 16th August 2007, 23:24.
            Cheers,

Daniel Petri
            MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Originally posted by danielp View Post
              I'm sorry Foosy, but I totally disagree. There is NOT ONE SINGLE BENEFIT for doing it the way YOU want to do it.

If you want redundancy for receiving incoming email in case of an Exchange failure you use a mail relay product, and/or use another MX record (your ISP for example) with a higher priority than the regular one.
              I am actually interested in that option. How would you configure it ? Say there was an outage and mail got delivered to the ISP instead of the exchange. How would the reconciliation be done when the outage was over? through pop?

Thanks

Comment

Read a bit about MX records.

http://www.petri.com/configure_mx_re...il_traffic.htm

The ISP holds the queue, and configures a retry interval to your server. You could also configure an SMTP Connector to use ETRN and pull mail via SMTP from the ISP and specific intervals.
                Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Working...
                X