X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can i Move Exchange DataBase Between servers

Dear All,

i Have an exchange Database size of 136GB in one of my cluster node in this i have only free soace of 5GB,i want to defrag this database so i need 130% free space i don`t have in that server then i prepared one exchange server with 300GB free space ,so my question is can i move exchange data base between servers to my defrag purpose.....all seniors plz respond and share all your experiences....

Thanks
    Kumar.

Re: Can i Move Exchange DataBase Between servers

Originally posted by Ranga Kumar View Post
    all seniors plz respond and share all your experiences....
    This is really very offensive to all members here. We ALL have something to contribute and seniority does not equal expertise. Would you care to specify "Only members joining before 2006" or would you prefer "only members with more than 500 posts" ?

It would be better if you accepted answers from ANY member and considered them on their merits before trying anything.

To return to your question:
    The preferred approach is to move mailboxes from the original server to the new one. This will not disrupt users email but will take longer. Since you are undertaking preventative maintenance, you have the time to do things properly and keep your messaging operational (the key requirement)
    You may then decide to keep some mailboxes on the second server rather than moving them all back after the defrag
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

HI Jones,

i tried the option what u mentioned if i move one user its taking me more than 2-3hrs and i have more users i this drive what i am plaing some important users i will move to other store and i can take this offline no probs my questing is that can i move database between servers and how much time will take to move this 136GB and defrag any guess....

Thanks
      kumar.

Comment

Mr. Ranga Kumar,

Please take 2 weeks to think about what Ossian has asked from you. In the meantime, thread locked.

Cheers,

Daniel Petri
        Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
        MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Working...
        X