No announcement yet.

Exchange for mailboxes only??

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange for mailboxes only??

Hello and thanks in advance to any one who can help. =]

I have an Exchange Server that I use in a small company (10 workstations, one server). I can configure it just fine to send/receive POP mail to users mailboxes. What I was curious if I can do is configure Exchange to just be a place to manage mailboxes AND not configure Exchange to send/receive any mail at all.

Basically what I want to do is enable POP accounts in Outlook on the workstations, so that ALL e-mail that is sent from Outlook, becomes external e-mail. IE: All mail has to leave the building and go to the E-mail hosting server and then get routed from there. At the same time, I would like the Outlook to also have the Exchange account enabled so I can use it for a mailbox location that resides on the server. ...Still with me?

What happens when I try to do this, mail that is sent from [email protected] to [email protected], gets routed locally into the recipients mailbox on the Exchange server. It sees the e-mail address exist in Active Directory and decides to deliver it locally. I would like ALL e-mail to be routed Externally directly from the Workstations. Is this possible?

Otherwise, I can configure Exchange to send and recieve POP mail. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Re: Exchange for mailboxes only??

Using Exchange to just store your mailbox data seems kind of expensive... Use network shares and PST files instead...

As for the routing - if you'd use a different, non-internet, domain name internally (something like mydomain.local instead of, then Exchange would have treated the outgoing mail between the users as external. You can still do it by changing the Default Recipient Policy and configuring it to use a different, non-internet domain name.

But again, your decision to use Exchange in the first place seems really strange.

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services

Re: Exchange for mailboxes only??

You can try and use Exchange for mailboxes only, but it will be a never ending battle. Exchange and Outlook will try and send email through Exchange. Some email will go through the Exchange server, it almost impossible for you to stop it. You can put barriers in the way to stop the email from being delivered, but that is about all.

Any reason you don't want to use Exchange as it is designed - an email server?

Simon Butler
      Exchange MVP

More Exchange Content:
      Exchange Resources List:
      In the UK? Hire me:

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.