X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• not able to send mails to specific domains

Hi ,

We are having 2 Mails Server .

1. Windows 2003 . Running Default pop3 , SMTP facility ( Live Server )

2. Running Exchange 2003 Server installed on it . ( Dump Mail Server )

Now the thing is I have created 1 pop id on my live mail server with extension [email protected] under that i have not created any aliases.

On Dump Mailserver on exchange server i have created user [email protected] , now from exchange server this user is able to send receive the mails but he is not able to send the mail to a specific domain like gmail.com , althaugh he is able to send receive mails from yahoo and other domains , i dont know why ?

Now questions are this ...

1. Why this user is able to send and receive the mails even thaugh i have not created mail id on live mail server ?

2. Why he is not able to send and receive the mails to the specific mail server like a gmail.com

3. Does my live mail server is an open relay ? If yes how to check it and how do i protect it ?

Please Help ...

Peter.

Re: not able to send mails to specific domains

Hi ,

can anyone pls help me to solve this issue...

Peter

Comment

first things first...

lets check the relay test. you can do this yourself from a command line... get familiar with sending email via a telnet window.

telnet on 25 to the email server.

this is the ctrl c/v of the telnet session. notice the response when i try to send mail to a hotmail account from a hotmail account from my email server:

Code:
      220 coc-wpa.#$%#$%#$%#%.com Microsoft ESMTP MAIL Service, Version: 6.0.3790.1830 ready at  Mon, 30
      Jul 2007 10:13:12 -0400
      ehlo
      250-coc-wpa.#$%#$%#$%#%.com Hello [192.168.5.27]
      250-TURN
      250-SIZE
      250-ETRN
      250-PIPELINING
      250-DSN
      250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
      250-8bitmime
      250-BINARYMIME
      250-CHUNKING
      250-VRFY
      250-X-EXPS GSSAPI NTLM LOGIN
      250-X-EXPS=LOGIN
      250-AUTH GSSAPI NTLM LOGIN
      250-AUTH=LOGIN
      250-X-LINK2STATE
      250-XEXCH50
      250 OK
      mail from: [email protected]
      250 2.1.0 [email protected] OK
      rcpt to: [email protected]
      550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for [email protected]
      the commands i typed are in bold red...

you see how it said 'no'? this is a good thing.

one note: you have to type the commands exactly. there is a way to make the backspace work, but i forget. if you mistype, the entire line is ruined and youhave to retype. you can, however, cut and paste the commands to reduce user error. you could use the stuff i pasted as a matter of fact. it doesnt matter, so long as the domain suffix isnt yours.

the other option you have is to use a web test like:
      http://www.abuse.net/relay.html

the most important thing to remember is that out-of-the-box exchange 2003 will not permit relaying, so if its relaying, you caused it to. its important to remember the changes you make...

the other question...
      is this the only user affected?
      the symptoms sound similar to SMTP traffic that is routed the wrong way... like if you have multiple IPs, make sure that SMTP traffic is going out the same path as the incoming, otherwise email can be returned or dropped due to the reverse DNS lookup. when it recieves an email from yourdomain.com on 55.55.55.10, it looks at the mx for that domain, and if the mx isnt pointing to 55.55.55.55.10 where your email came from, then its rejected. this is corrected by creating a rule in the firewall that forces all SMTP communication out the same way it came in.

with the limited info provided, ill take a second stab... what are the users primary and secondary email addresses? i dont think this is it, but i just wanted more info.

what IP is the second email server using? id check the traffic rules on your firewall...
      Last edited by James Haynes; 30th July 2007, 15:27.
      its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
      Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

Hi ,

Thanks for your great help , i have tried this command and i got this reply,

Escape character is '^]'.
        220 mail.elevenserver.com ESMTP
        ehlo
        250-mail.elevenserver.com
        250-PIPELINING
        250-8BITMIME
        250 SIZE 10485760
        mail from:[email protected]
        250 ok
        rcpt to:[email protected]
        553 sorry, that domain isn't allowed to be relayed thru this MTA (#5.7.1)
        Connection closed by foreign host.

This shows my mail server is not an open relay ..then why i am able to send mails through exchange connectors , even though that user's live id is not created on live mail ser , not as a pop account nor as a alias....

and users are able to send and receive mails to yahoo.com , but specifically gmail.com..they are not able to send and receive mails...

Please help

Peter.

Comment

Hi ,

Can anyone please help me to solve this issue...

Peter

Comment

HI All ,

One mor thing i want clerify with , that is if i am sending a mail to pop users from dump users its not reach at there , what might be the reason ...

Please Help ...

Peter.

Comment

Working...
            X