No announcement yet.

how to check open relay

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to check open relay

Hi ,

We are having 2 servers , one live mail server in which w2k3 is loaded and it is using the default facility of pop3 and smtp mail server , now i am having only one pop id on this server , and there is one more server at another location in which exchange is installed , in which i have configured smtp connector as well as i have configured the mail id with the same extension domain name , now the users are able to send the mails to out side and receive the mails from out side , now my question is i have not created the mail id's of all this users on my live mail server even thaugh they are able to send and receive the mails , so how is this possible ..does my server is open relay for everyone , how can i cross check it and how can i stop it , in real life i need to create the mail alias on my live server then and then they should be able to send and receive mails ..

please help..

Re: how to check open relay

Is this helpfull?

It is quite difficult to turn an Exchange 2003 server in to an open relay.
      Therefore I would test it first, then look at the two places where you can misconfigure the server in to being a relay.

Last edited by Sembee; 14th March 2013, 18:01. Reason: URL Correction
      Simon Butler
      Exchange MVP

More Exchange Content:
      Exchange Resources List:
      In the UK? Hire me:

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

HI ,

one point i need to be clear what is the ideal condition in this type of setup that one id is live pop3 id and under that 10 alias is there , so in this case where i need to create the alias on both the server live and dump or only on dump server ...

please help...