Found a bug in Exchange server 2003 SP2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Found a bug in Exchange server 2003 SP2

I found this bug when I was trying to export the Information Store list of mailboxes. What happens is the exported CSV file does not put the data in the correct columns.

Here's how to replicate the problem:
    1. Choose the Information Store to export by clicking on it
    2. Right-click the IS then choose Export List
    3. Change the Save As Type to "Text (Comma Delimited) (*.csv)"
    4. Choose a filename for the exported data

If you now open the CSV in Excel (2003), any values which have a comma in them will be seperated into a seperate column for each comma. Here's an example:

Mailbox......Last Logged on By......Size (KB)......Total Items......Last Logon Time.............Last Logoff Time
    MyUser......V\MuUser..................191,789..... .3,779..............25/07/2007 11:55 AM......25/07/2007 2:55 PM

The resulting CSV file will contain the following when exported into Excel:
    A..............B.................C.........D...... ..E.......F.........G............................. ...H
    MyUser......V\MuUser......191......789......3..... .779......25/07/2007 11:55 AM......25/07/2007 2:55 PM

What seems to be happening is the export function is not enclosing data which contains a comma into parenthesis so that when the data is imported into Excel, Excel knows that the comma is actually part of the data and not a delimiter. Checking the raw data in the CSV file confirms this.

Tab delimited files work as expected.

Exchange Server 2003 Enterprise V6.5 Build 7638.2 SP2 running on Windows 2003 Server Enterprise
    |
    +-- JDMils
    |
    +-- Regional Systems Engineer, DotNet programmer & Jack of all trades
    |

Re: Found a bug in Exchange server 2003 SP2

Thanks, I'll pass that along.

BTW, do you happen to have a previous version of Exchange 2003 to see if this worked ok prior to SP2?

EDIT: I tested it on SP1, still the same. I am not so sure this is a bug...
    Last edited by danielp; 27th July 2007, 22:38.
    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Working...
    X