Moving mailboxes from server to server takes an AWFULLY long time

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving mailboxes from server to server takes an AWFULLY long time

There are two Exchange 2003 SP2 servers in our domain, XMAIL (old) and XMAIL2) new. I need to move all the mailboxes from XMAIL to XMAIL2, so I setup a new Information Store on XMAIL2 and used a test account to make sure it was all working, which it was.

Last night I was ready to start the migration, so I used the Exchange Move Mailbox command to move one mailbox from XMAIL to XMAIL2. It's now been quite a few hours and the one mailbox is still being moved.

Mailbox stats:
    Name: Katie
    Total Items: 459
    Size: 122,473 KB

Move stats:
    Migration time so far: 8h 47m
    %: 73

Is this normal for a mailbox move?

I have another 599 mailboxes to move and I ain't doing it this way if this continues.

EDIT: Katie's mailbox just completed after 9h 30m.
    Last edited by JDMils; 18th July 2007, 01:34.
    |
    +-- JDMils
    |
    +-- Regional Systems Engineer, DotNet programmer & Jack of all trades
    |

Re: Moving mailboxes from server to server takes an AWFULLY long time

Over 9hrs seems a long time to copy 120mb

Are there any connectivity issues between the two exchange servers? Try copying a 100mb file(s) between the two servers and see what times you get.

Before the migration I would have set limits to say 100mb on all users before you migrate them across and enfoce these rules on the new server

Anyways, let us know how about the copying times. Any routers / firewalls between the apps could be causing the issues

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks Michael,
      Before the migration I would have set limits to say 100mb on all users before you migrate them across and enfoce these rules on the new server
      It's management who wants the increased size! Seems now a days that the IT bloke doesn't have a say in anything to do with the IT of a company- it's the management who now dictates what they want. And you tell them they can't have it, they tell you that they will find someone who will.

Anyway, the servers are side-by-side on a Gigabit network. Copy of 100 MB of files took 17 seconds.
      |
      +-- JDMils
      |
      |

Comment

Have you looked at the logs for the mailbox move?
        In most cases when I see delays there are many error messages in the logs about corrupt messages.

Simon.
        --
        Simon Butler
        Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
        More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
        Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
        In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

I ran the same move on the destination Exchange server, which is an Intel Xeon 2.87GHz cpu with 2.5 GB RAM and it's running a LOT faster now. Seems the original server didn't have the resources to run the Move efficiently. Thanks guys.
          |
          +-- JDMils
          |
          |

Comment

Working...
          X