Exchange 2000 install/config - possible DNS and GC problems

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange 2000 install/config - possible DNS and GC problems

I have been dragged into a attempted installation of Exchange 2000.

New Exchange & Windows 2000 Server.

This place has a main server (named NEWSERVER), a terminal server (named TerminalServer), and this new mail server (named MAILSVR).

The installation was started by someone else who cannot really tell me what he did.

Says he ran ForestPrep and DomainPrep - cannot tell me much about what he did.

Let's start where I got involved.

When MAILSVR is restarted a message says that one or more services did not start properly.

The main problem is SA. It's failure causes Information Store, MTA Stacks, POP3, and IMAP4 to not start due to dependencies.

In system log, after the msgs re: IS, MTA, POP3, and IMAP4 not starting because SA didn't, is this:

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: W3SVC
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 115
    Date: 7/5/2007
    Time: 7:05:18 PM
    User: N/A
    Computer: MAILSVR
    Description:
    The service could not bind instance 1. The data is the error code.
    Data:
    0000: 40 27 00 00 @'..

Also in the System Event log, quite awhile latter as you can see from the timestamp, is:

Event Type: Warning
    Event Source: w32time
    Event ID: 54
    Time: 7:50:06 PM
    Description:
    The Windows Time Service was not able to find a Domain Controller. A time and date update was not possible.
    Data:
    0000: e5 03 00 00 ...

Additional entries are created for this w32time problem as time goes by.

Going into the Application Event Log, you find:

Event Type: Information
    Event Source: MSDTC
    Event Category: SVC
    Event ID: 4097
    Time: 7:05:10 PM
    Description:
    MS DTC has started.
    Data:
    0000: 00 .

Event Source: MSExchangeSA
    Event Category: General
    Event ID: 1000
    Time: 7:05:12 PM
    Description:
    Microsoft Exchange System Attendant is starting. Microsoft Exchange Server System Attendant, service startup complete, version 6.0 (build 4417.0).

Event ID: 9007
    Time: 7:05:13 PM
    Description:
    Microsoft Exchange System Attendant is initializing 'DSACCESS.DLL'.

Event Source: MSExchangeDSAccess
    Event ID: 2064
    Description:
    Process MAD.EXE" (PID=2252). All the remote DS Servers in use are not responding.

Event ID: 1005
    Description:
    Unexpected error The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted. Facility: Win32 ID no: c007054b Microsoft Exchange System Attendant occurred.

Event ID: 1004
    Description:
    Microsoft Exchange System Attendant failed to start.

Event Source: MSExchangeTransport
    Event Category: Routing Engine/Service
    Event ID: 1008
    Description:
    RE service instance 1 has been started.

Event Source: MSExchangeDSAccess
    Event ID: 2064
    Description:
    Process INETINFO.EXE (PID=2024). All the remote DS Servers in use are not responding.

Digging around for information I found - among the dozens of things I've read - the MS KB article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/273428/en-us which describes the two of the events logged- MSExchangeDSAccess Event ID 2064 and MSExchangeSA Event ID 1005 Description: Process MAD.EXE" (PID=2252). All the remote DS Servers in use are not responding.)

"Restore all connectivity between the Exchange server, the domain controller or controllers in the child domain, and the Global Catalog server or servers in the root domain."

It would be nice if they spelled it out because just saying "restore all connectivity" is not enough for me - I need help with that.

Another KB article addresses the other MsExchangeSA Event ID 1550 Description: Process INETINFO.EXE (PID=2024). All the remote DS Servers in use are not responding.

It is http://support.microsoft.com/kb/252137/en-us

The resolution is: "Ensure that a global catalog server is available. The procedure in the "More Information" demonstrates how make a Microsoft Windows 2000 domain controller a global catalog server."

I followed the steps to go to NTDS Settings on the Domain Controller and Global Catalog was already checked.

I understanding of the purpose of DNS, AD, and the GC but lack in-depth information on checking their setup.

Okay, now I have some general questions:

But first a bit more about this setup -- This place currently has two domains, let's call them abc.com and xyz.com being hosted by a hosting company. They have email and web sites being hosted.

abc.com and xyz.com represent two companies owned by the same person.

The objective is to bring the email and web sites "in house", thus the attempt to install Exchange.

To describe their "in house" network a bit more - they have all their applications and data on the main server (NEWSERVER - you know how some people can be about naming resources, they really don't plan ahead).

The local network connects workstatations directly to that server via cables.

TerminalServer is used by anyone needing application access from "outside the building." They use the Terminal Client to connect to TerminalServer and then a connection is made to the main server (NEWSERVER) and they can then operate as though they were in-house on the wired network.

When these users come into the TerminalServer from outside, they use an IP addres, not a domain name - remember, domains abc.com and xyz.com are being hosted else where.

People who work for these companies, as represented by abc.com and xyz.com, use the same IP address to get to the TerminalServer and are routed to the same set of applications.

Even though I was told that these are two separate companies, and they probably are "on the books", they share some of the applications on the main server and effectively all of the hardware.

Right now the main server, as best as I can tell, only has the abc.com domain defined on it. I have seen no reference to xyz.com on any of the servers.

Even though abc.com is defined in the local network settings and such, it is not being referenced via the internet because the internet DSNs point abc.com to the hosting company and xyz.com also points to a hosting company.

What they want to do is, at some point, drop the hosting company and point the internet DSNs to the IP addresses of their own equipment.

They want Exchange to support email for both abc.com and xyz.com - when everyhing is finally set up correctly.

Only the TerminalServer and the MAILSRV will be addressable from outside via the two domain names (right now, remember, they are accessed via IP address).

The T1 line attaches to a router which routes the traffic either to the TerminalServer or the MAILSRV based upon IP address.

They simply want to handle email for abc.com and xyz.com in house, on the same server.

Oh yes, -- obviously there are no earlier versions of Exchange installed anywhere here.

As I type this all out in detail for the first time, and ask them questions as I'm do so, it looks more and more like their current servers/systems are set up with no distinction between the two companies represented by abc.com and xyz.com.

So my first general question is - 1) given what I've told you, how would you design the mail service they want?

My other questions are:

2) From the reading I've done, it would appear that they want a forest containing the abc.com and xyz.com domains - can one installation of Exchange support two domains like this? As I said, I can find no definitions on any server for xyz.com - I may be missing something but I've really been rummaging around.

3) Would you want to set up abc.com and xyz.com as domains in a forest together? As I read things, and from what I've gotten from these people, I don't think these two domains actually belong in a forest together. They only want to be able to move the email operations in-house, from the hosting company.

The docs talk of two way trusts between domains in forests - I don't see it it need here.

Should abc.com and xyz.com be in a forest? If not, how would I set this up? Also, since Forestprep seems to have been run, how would you, if you wanted to, separate these domains out of the forest.

4) The docs say (and one main source of my info is the "Planning and Installation" document on the Exchange CD and on-line sources)--- they say to run Forestprep - just where do you run it? On the Exchange Server or on the Domain Server?

Incidently - I don't know what organization name the other guy used when he ran Forestprep - how can I find out the name?

5) The docs say "you need to run DomainPrep in each domain where you want to install Exchange 2000, including the domain in which you ran Forestprep"

This is confusing me - given the setup I've described, where (on what computers/servers) would you run DomainPrep?

Re: Exchange 2000 install/config - possible DNS and GC problems

Just want to confirm that it is Exchange 2000 and not Exchange 2003.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
      Just want to confirm that it is Exchange 2000 and not Exchange 2003.
      Yes, it is Exchange 2000 running on Windows 2000 Server SP4

Comment

Any reason that you are trying to install a 7 year old version of Exchange?

Anyway I would suggest trashing the installation.
        Use add/remove programs to remove Exchange. If the server is new then I would also suggest after removing Exchange that the machine is dropped from the domain and rebuilt.

The errors you are seeing are mainly caused by problems with communicating the domain. That could be DNS issues or something more serious.
        However I operate on the basic principle that an Exchange server should work straight out of the box.

When it comes to the new installation you should treat it as a new installation. Do a forest prep and domain prep fresh and then install the required components. Ensure that the server is on the domain correctly and not giving any errors on boot.

Simon.
        --
        Simon Butler
        Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
        More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
        Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
        In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

Originally posted by Sembee View Post
          Any reason that you are trying to install a 7 year old version of Exchange?

Anyway I would suggest trashing the installation.
          Use add/remove programs to remove Exchange. If the server is new then I would also suggest after removing Exchange that the machine is dropped from the domain and rebuilt.

The errors you are seeing are mainly caused by problems with communicating the domain. That could be DNS issues or something more serious.
          However I operate on the basic principle that an Exchange server should work straight out of the box.

When it comes to the new installation you should treat it as a new installation. Do a forest prep and domain prep fresh and then install the required components. Ensure that the server is on the domain correctly and not giving any errors on boot.

Simon.

Simon,

Thanks for the reply - the only other reply was asking if it was really 2000 or if it was 2003.

First - the customer wants to use 2000, and they pay the bills. I suggested a newer version but given the mess things are currently in and their wanting to use what they have purchased, 2000 it will for now.

As to the implied statement that 7 year old software is not worth installing - the defect in that attitude is so obvious as to not be worth the waste of key strokes on my part to explain it to you.

As I thought I spelled out in my original posting, I know this is some sort of communications problem. But nothing tells me exactly what the problem is, where to find the actual problem, or how to fix it.

A hint on the part of the software messages or documents would be nice!!

As I also thought spelled out, I'm new to Exchange (though I've been working with computers - you name the hardware or software and I've used, designed, created, maintained, etc. it - for 33+ years and my learning curve, skills, and ability exceed those of anyone I've met or heard of in those 33+ years ---- this I didn't state in my original message because I felt it not necessary)--- but as I was saying, I said I was new to most of this and your telling me to do forestprep and domainprep etc did not answer one of my direct questions - where to run them.

Dear old Microsoft (may the gods take vengeance on them at some point for all of us forced to use their poorly designed and even more poorly written software) simply says to run "in the domain" - but not "on" a particular system or such.

After much more research and looking through the systems, I've decided that when they say "in the domain" they may actually mean "on the domain controller"

I don't have access to the systems right now (it 0053 Monday morning) but I will try running forestprep and domainprep on the domain controller later today.

You may already be getting mad at me, I certainly hope you have taken some of what I've written here the "right way" because I asked specific questions and then you say "oh, it must be a communications problem" but don't suggest a damn thing to check or do except reinstall.

About 1 1/2 hours ago I decided to try uninstalling Exchange -- guess what, when I go through the steps needed (control panel | add remove programs, etc) and tell exchanges setup wizard to uninstall everything, I get the message:

"Setup encounter4ed an error while checking prerequisites for the component "Microsoft Exchange 2000" 0XC007054 (1355): The specified domain does not exist or could not be contacted"

Great message - I'd like to hang the programmer who coded that message up by his or her thumbs for 12 hours or so until they beg to be let down and swear on all they hold important to never again code a message that says something is wrong without identifying the something by name!!!!

Great, I've always thought there was a configuration name as regards domain - in fact I asked about such issues here in my original message - but the damn software won't tell me the name of the domain it can't find.

Also, I was running the setup wizard to uninstall the package, "I" did not specify a domain at any time - how the hell am I supposed to know which name it is.

I said that I had come into a screwed up install - I don't know and can't find out what was specified or what has actually been done --- it would be nice for an error message to specify the domain about which the message pertains.

Oh yes, I looked in the setup log, there's nothing there that I can see which specifies the domain name which causes the final fatal error.

Running down that latest message netted me some more KB articles with bits of information here and there and lead me to trying forestprep and domainprep on the actual domain controller.

Did you think about that when reading my message and before answering? Did you even read all of my questions?

Guess not since you don't mention anything about where to run forestprep or domainprep, though you said to run them.

You also don't mention one single detailed thing to do to check the DNS, etc for problems.

Don't say "oh, it's a DNS thing" and then not suggest some things to check and how to check them.

You are catching all of my anger at the members of this forum and the other 9 on which I posted the same message.

The two replies in this forum are all I got and they are useless.

You'd think someone might have some suggestions of things to check, even if they were not sure if it was really the problem. At least toss out some suggestions to the guy having problem - the guy who took the trouble to include as much detail in his message as possible - the guy who didn't simply say "I can't get Exchange to run, what's wrong?"

But NO!

And, when I was posting on another forum, I saw a message where a guy asked for someone to tell him how to install Exchange - just that, tell me how to install Exchange.

Sure, it's a stupid thing to ask, akin to saying "can anyone tell me how to build, wire, plumb, insulate, etc. a house literally from the ground up but it would have been nice for someone to explain to this person just how much he didn't know about Exchange and steer him in the direction of a minimum of documentation - even if only referring to the documents on the install CD.

BUT NO!

The only reply was RTFM

I had to look that one up.

Sure it was a stupid question but the only reply was Read The ****ing Manual and the asshole didn't even tell him what manual and where to find it.

If you will be so kind as to report this post the the moderator for the use of the word ****, let me make sure you understand the word I want you to complain about - it is ****.

Got that? Okay, report it to the moderator and have him pull my "membership" to the forum and the site because I will not be coming back to this ****ING place and I don't want my membership information on their ****ING machine.

I hope I've violated enough of the TOS to get thrown out. If not, I'll come back and try again if needed until I do get thrown out.

BYE!

P.S. - if you will look at my original message, the last line actually asked where to run domainprep - okay I didn't ask specificaly where to run forestprep, but I think anyone knowing enough about Exchange to answer "where to run domainprep" would probably also tell me where to run forestprep.

I suspect that you now have a suggestion as to where I should run them which is probably anatomically and technically impossible

BYE AGAIN!

Don't forget to report this message to the moderator!!!!!
          Last edited by biggles77; 9th July 2007, 10:39. Reason: Remove childish profanities.

Comment

Originally posted by RobKN
            I've been working with computers - you name the hardware or software and I've used, designed, created, maintained, etc. it - for 33+ years and my learning curve, skills, and ability exceed those of anyone I've met or heard of in those 33+ years
            Originally posted by RobKN
            The only reply was RTFM

I had to look that one up.
            At the risk of raising Rob's blood pressure even higher, I find it hard to believe that someone of such vast experience had to look up RTFM. Maybe not 33 years experience but perhaps 1 years experience 33 times.

Sembee did actually give you a solution to your problem. Blow it away and start from new but you didn't seem to grasp that concept. This looked like the only option considering the message mess that was being displayed. Instead of accepting the suggestion, you mouth off about him not holding your hand and providing you with the Forestprep syntax. It has been a long time since I installed Exchange but the steps are;
            1. Remove Exchange CD from jewel case
            2. Open CD ROM tray
            3. Place Exchange CD onto CD ROM tray
            4. Close CD ROM try
            5. Follow the bouncing ball

My suggestion is that you are way out of your depth on this one and to give it away or call in a Exchange Consultant. Then you could take your time and actually learn Exchange, Train Signal have an excellent tutorial on Exchange 2000 that is well worth the paltry amount that it costs. (you would make the outlay back on one job alone)

Lastly, do not threaten to keep coming back here posting childish dribble until you get banned. Remember, you are a 33+ year "veteran" with a learning curve that exceeds everyone world (see the first quote) and coming back will only portray how childish you really are.

Thank you. Have a nice day.
            Last edited by biggles77; 9th July 2007, 11:49. Reason: Fix quote
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Arrrggghhhh! You beat me to it. I had a long answer ready, but you beat me to it.

Fine then.

As for Mr. RobKN, you're not making it easy for us to help you, but you know what? I'm not sure we want to do that anymore.

So for now I will risk leaving your membership on and allow you to rectify your post, but I will not allow you to keep insulting us.

Have a good day.

BTW, you might want to take a look at this:

How to ask a question:
              http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/555375
              Cheers,

Daniel Petri
              Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
              MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Working...
              X