Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barracuda Spam/Virus Filter Thoughts

Hi all,

I am currently searching for a Spam/Virus Filtering solution for our network. Other Campuses within out AD Organization are using Barracuda to perform Spam/Virus filtering for their Exchange email.

I am wondering if there is any one out there that deals with, has dealt with, or looked into Barracuda and if they are willing to share their thoughts and opinions on the device.

I am even open to other options out there.

I currently run Exchange 2k3 with 200 users and use IHate Spam (worthless in my opinion) and Antigen for Virus Protection.

Any thoughts/opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Nate
    Hope this helps.

Nate

My advice is provided AS IS, without warranty of any kind, express or implied. Follow at your own risk.

Re: Barracuda Spam/Virus Filter Thoughts

For the Exchange server I would recommend the TrendMicro Scanmail and for the mail relay / antispam I would recommenr the SMS (Symantec Mail Security) have some modules / appliances:
    http://www.symantec.com/enterprise/p...011&pvid=852_1
    CNE 5, CCA, MCSE NT4.0-2003, MCSE 2003 messaging, Exchange Server MVP.
    Tzahi Kolber - IT Supervisor
    Polycom Israel.

Comment

Tzahi Kolber,

Thanks for the suggestion. I will look into it.

Does anyone know of any other solutions or have suggestions?

Thanks,

Nate
      Hope this helps.

Nate

My advice is provided AS IS, without warranty of any kind, express or implied. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Hey,

We to were using iHateSpam, and it was great up until the point that we started using teh later builds, and after that we had a nightmare. We have since moved to Trend which works for both AV and Virus, and works much better, although there is a few problems concerning outlook rules and spam sent to distribution lists, but not to bad.

We also have a barracuda at another location, and whilst there is planty of devices to pick and choose from, I am so far relativley happy with it.

We suggested it to a client, and they had spoken to a number of companies who suggested other option, but we got a trial model from a reseller, and after a week they were so happy with it they have decided to keep it.

It is not the simplest device, and there are a few options, however there over the phone support is good, and once you have it set, there is a handy outlook plugin you can have your users install, which will help educate teh device.
        For what it is we found it to be teh cheapest solution, as it is not dependant on amount of users, as some other devices, and software.

I woudl say call up your local reseller, or get on their web site and request a trial model, and if you dont like it, just send it back, although that doesnt happen often.

If you are looking at other devices, the Ironport, St Bernard [by erism I belive] or more recently I have seen an advert for another one, but I cant remeber teh name. It claimed 99% sucess using some measue of who teh mail was going to, rather than who it was comming from. Shoudl have read more but I was busy at work, and cant find any links to it anymore

Check out http://www.spamhelp.org/appliances/ for some more.

Comment

Bruce,

Thanks for the info, I am thinking Barracuda will be the route we take. I am going to send a Quote/Eval Request to them when I return from my vacation.

Thanks again.

Nate

PS. If anyone else has any spam filtering thoughts please feel free to post them.
          Hope this helps.

Nate

Comment

I just installed a Watchguard x750e applicance with Unified Threat management.

It covers email virus protection, spam, bulk email, intrusion protection, and more front end protection that you can shake a stick at. I like it because its all on one appliance and intercepts all of the bad stuff before it hits the server.

I paid about $4000 from my vendor and the subscription renewal ( always check in to that before you purchase) will be about $2500.00 per year.

It came with 50 vpn licenses, does site to site vpns, the GUI is pretty straight forward.
            Chris

Comment

Chris,

Thanks for the suggestion. I will check into the Watchguard x750e.

I have seen some articles stating the new Cisco ASA can do spam filtering too. Has anyone ever seen/tried this?

Thanks,

Nate

PS. If anyone else has any spam filtering thoughts please feel free to post them. I am open to any solution since the hire-ups/purchasing will want to know what I have looked into.
              Hope this helps.

Nate

Comment

Working...
              X