No announcement yet.

Reviewf IMF Tune 2.8

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reviewf IMF Tune 2.8

For most of my customers, I use Microsoft Intelligent Message Filtering (IMF) on the front end followed by GFI MailEssentials. I am very pleased with the control over spam that I am able to achieve. It was through this site that I learned to set up and configure IMF.

One of the drawbacks to Microsoft IMF is the inability to fine tune it. If I set the SCL to 8, a lot of spam slips through the cracks. If I set it to 7, I get tighter control capturing spam but I always find myself looking in the Ucearchive folder for legitimate e-mail at the request of customers. It is not uncommon for this folder to fill with over 26,000 e-mails in a 30-day period and using IMF Archive Manager is very archaic.

I recently discovered a program called IMF Tune which allows you to configure white lists and blacklists for IMF. It will also allow you to re-route e-mail that has been tagged as spam. You can filter based on recipient, sender, subject and body keywords.

Here is what I did with one customer after a thorough test on my network:
    1. Created an account called SPAM
    2. Routed all e-mail with an SCL 7 or greater to SPAM
    3. Added the Mailbox – SPAM to all Outlook 2003 clients so they can search if they occasionally have a missing e-mail. This cuts down on IT costs for my customer.
    4. Went through all my records and built a white list based on e-mails sent to me in the past
    5. Set auto-archive on the Inbox for Mailbox – SPAM to delete after seven days.
    If a customer gets any legitimate e-mail tagged as spam, I have asked them to drag the e-mail to their Inbox and then give me the e-mail address so I can white list it.

The cost for this was $148 U.S. for one server and 30 e-mail accounts. There are other licensing options.
    Last edited by danielp; 20th June 2007, 19:45.
    Network Engineers do IT under the desk

Re: Reviewf IMF Tune 2.8

I rather not give free promotion for companies that charge money for their products. If they want to advertise they are willing to contact me.

Do not do it again.

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services

Re: Reviewf IMF Tune 2.8

I do not know the IMF Tune people from Adam and have no vested interest in them.

I am from the old school where I believe in the sharing of information and ideas. I regret that my 'information' did not conform with your policies and I will be more careful with what I chose to share in your community.
      Network Engineers do IT under the desk