Can't see mailbox in mail store

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't see mailbox in mail store

If I do an AD search for mailboxes on a certain server (which I am trying to get rid of) it shows that one user has a mailbox in one of the stores on that server. I go to that store and can not see the mailbox in System Manager.

Is there a magic button I don't know about that will let me see more? If I delete the account out of AD, will that exchange server know and allow me to delete that store?
    Thank you,

Marc

Re: Can't see mailbox in mail store

If the mailbox isn't in the store then it's gone. As far as I know there's no way to show more than what you see thru the Exchange Manager.
    To remove the AD entries for the user, open ADUC from the Exchange machine and right click the user and select remove Exchange attributes. That should remove the AD references.

If you can't do that, you'll need to manually remove the AD references using ADSIEdit or something else.
    Last edited by ahinson; 15th June 2007, 16:23.
    Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

It is perfectly possible for a user to have a "mailbox" in a store, but the store not to show the mailbox. Exchange only creates the physical mailbox when it is required, so if the mailbox was never used, it would never create a mailbox.

If you know which user account is causing the problem, then simply do a move mailbox on the account and move the mailbox to another server. This will update the reference and allow you to uninstall the server.

Simon.
      --
      Simon Butler
      Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
      More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
      Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
      In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

Thank you both. I moved the mailbox and now can remove the server from my org.
        Thank you,

Marc

Comment

Originally posted by Sembee View Post
          It is perfectly possible for a user to have a "mailbox" in a store, but the store not to show the mailbox...the mailbox was never used, it would never create a mailbox.
          Right, my assumption was that it had been used and that he was removing Exchange altogether so moving wasn't an option.
          Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Sembee View Post
            It is perfectly possible for a user to have a "mailbox" in a store, but the store not to show the mailbox. Exchange only creates the physical mailbox when it is required, so if the mailbox was never used, it would never create a mailbox.

If you know which user account is causing the problem, then simply do a move mailbox on the account and move the mailbox to another server. This will update the reference and allow you to uninstall the server.

Simon.
            That's why I make it a practice to always send a welcome note to the user first thing after I create their mailbox.
            Cheers,

Daniel Petri
            Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
            MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Originally posted by danielp View Post
              That's why I make it a practice to always send a welcome note to the user first thing after I create their mailbox.
              Daniel,

Good tip!
              Andrew

Comment

Is that something you have scripted or do you do a manual send? Was thinking if you create multiple users then a manual send to each one could be a time consuming task.
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

You can easily do this with a simple VBS script, I even added one to the context menu of user objects in DSA.
                  Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                  MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

You can easily do this with a simple VBS script, I even added one to the context menu of user objects in DSA.

Daniel,
                    that sounds really cool! Would you be prepared to give away your secrets?

Tom
                    Tom Jones
                    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                    IT Trainer / Consultant
                    Ossian Ltd
                    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Sure. It's even on the main site:

Send Mail from Script:
                      http://www.petri.com/send_mail_from_script.htm
                      Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                      MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Sorry -- I ought to know
                        Tom Jones
                        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                        IT Trainer / Consultant
                        Ossian Ltd
                        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
                        X