No announcement yet.

Exchange & Outlook

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange & Outlook

Hey all,

Lets say that I get Exchange Server 2003 via Windows Server 2003 Small Business Edition, and all of my other PCs have Outlook 2002 or better, what features will this Exchange server be able to incorporate within Outlook besides a networked calendar and maybe a fax server component?

Re: Exchange & Outlook

You don't say what you are presently using.

This link will help you to compare Exchange Server products: ...

And if you aren't presnetly using Exchange, then all the features listed are all that will be yours, should you get Exchange 2003.

This is theoretical I'm just saying that I may get Exchange 2003 as an example. I've already checked that Microsoft site and it isn't helpful at all but thanks for replying.

I know that you can share a Calendar over the network within Outlook once you setup Exchange, but what else can it do with Outlook??? What have some of you guys been able to incorporate into the Outlook mail client with an Exchange Server that is a neat feature?

Features of Outlook in an Exchange environment:

Share any outlook folder (calendar, tasks, emails etc)
        Delegated "send on behalf of" permissions
        Out of Office (not available without Exchange)
        Server based spam filtering
        Outlook Web Access -- more or less all outlook features from any browser
        Public folders (mail enabled or just information repositories) for messages, calendars, tasks, contacts etc.
        Recover deleted items even after Recycle bin is emptied

Other Exchange features:
        Mail archiving of all incoming and outgoing emails
        Central store -- no PSTs to worry about backing up
        Central control e.g. mailbox size, message retention period

Thats a start...
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Ossian thanks for the list! You're my hero!

I'm really interested in Exchange now!

Bonus points for u!