No announcement yet.

Exchange 2000

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange 2000

Hi Chaps/Ladies

Firstly hello and apologies for posting my first message as a problem!

I have a client who runs W2K active Directory with Exchange 2000. Due to reasons beyond my control (I wasn't called in until their IT team had attempted to fix it), their single Exchange server (no RAID) had crashed with a hardware fault on the system drive. I have recovered the Exchange data, logs and system database but cannot recover anything else from the system partition.

I have currently replaced the hardware and configured 4 new harddisks as RAID5, but am unsure the quickest way of getting the system backup and running.

Am I right in thinking that I could re-install Windows 2000 Server in a workgroup, using the same name, IP addresses etc and attempt to use Exchange's Disaster Recovery procedure to recover lost Exchange system information from the data (system mbx, stream & edb files)?

Has anyone ever done this sucessfully? Is there any flaws in my master plan?

Are there any better options?

Cheers in advance for any assistance.

ps - No the client has not got any backups of the system partition, just the Exchange data , and yes - I have severely beaten them with sticks.

No, you cannot install Exchange into a workgroup. You can, however, use the "Alternate Forest Recovery" method. Here are some links, but I'm sure you can find more if you look in Google:

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services