Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unable to create new mailboxes on exchange 2003 server

Hi,

I'm running Exchange 2003 Server Enterprise Edition SP2, on Win 2003 Server Standard SP2. It's the only Exchange Server with about 60 users.
    When I add a new user, I go through the process of creating an Exchange
    mailbox and the process completes without error but the mailbox does not show up in the mailbox store. I checked the event log and no errors shown up. My RUS point to the right DC and Exchange server.
    I have not created a new user in about 1 month so I don't know when the problem actually started. We went through a change a couple of weeks ago, we moved the DC, DNS, DHCP server to a new hardware and upgraded it from 2000 to 2003. Do you think that could cause the problem or it is something else.
    Thank you for your help.
    Regards,

F

Re: Unable to create new mailboxes on exchange 2003 server

It's normal for the mailbox not to show up in the store until the Outlook client has actually been configured for that mailbox. Once you've done that try sending a test or welcome message to the new user's mailbox. Does that help?

Comment

Thanks for the replay.
      I should have given more details about my problem...Actualy I cannot configure the outlook client because I get the an error saying that there is no mailbox created for the user. I was also waiting for more than 5 min, I created the account this morning...Could licensing be involved in that?
      Thank you.

F

Comment

Licensing will not be the source of the problem.
        You will be unable to connect to the account with Outlook until RUS has done its thing. The visible sign of RUS doing its thing is the presence of two email addresses on the account - an SMTP address and an X.400 address.

The usual reason for RUS problems is domain controller issues. Is the DC that you have recipient update services pointed to a global catalog? If you force RUS to update, what happens?

Simon.
        --
        Simon Butler
        Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
        More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
        Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
        In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

Well I would have a look at the Recipient Update Service (again).

That is key to creating a new user\mailbox, and helps with populating the GAL.

I'll bet you have, but have you tried right-clicking on both entries in the RUS and clicking Rebuild, then Update Now?

Comment

Have you installed Exchange System manager on the new hardware and verified mailboxes are being created when you create a new user?

Comment

Thank you guys,

My DC is a global catalog and I've tried rebuild and update for RUS with no success.
              When rebuild and update I don't get any error messages just a warning for rebuild.
              I have not restart the server after rebuild I'll do it tonight.
              And I'll check my DC...
              I'll keep you informed.

Cheers

F

Comment

I've got it working....
                As I said before I did a rebuild and update for RUS, checked the DC and under Active Directory Sites and Services, General, I chose my DC as preferred bridgehead server for SMTP and I rebooted my exchange server. Thank you Simon and Robby for your suggestions.

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                X