Exchange 2003 Duplicate Emails

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange 2003 Duplicate Emails

I am running Exchange 2003 on my server. My company has different domains for different companies on the same server. Some users have email accounts for more then one domain. If a user receives an email and they have multiply domain accounts, they receive the same message through each account. If you have three different domain accounts, you receive three of the same e-mail, which are all address to the original email. How do I stop this duplication?

Thank you, for your help.

Re: Exchange 2003 Duplicate Emails

Don't understand, Joe. Could you give us some examples?

Here are my guesses at what you mean:

Guess #1
    Are you saying that for any user that logs on to your network, they have three email addresses?

So, say a user has [email protected], [email protected] and [email protected].

If the same email is addressed to all these addresses, then I would expect Fred to only receive one email, because Exchange will resolve all those addresses to be one person. Because all those addresses will be on the E-mail aAddress tab for Fred's entry in AD.

Guess #2
    But if, somehow, you have Fred as having one address for his 'primary' mailbox (@banana.com) and you have him open up other mailbox 'associated' with him. So that in his Outlook, he can open up his own and his potato and bread mailboxes, then if an email is sent to all those addresses then they will be delivered to each of those mailboxes and you can't change that.

.. or maybe I've misunderstood you?

Regards,

robbyb

Comment

Your Guess #1 is almost correct:

Some of my users have [email protected]om, [email protected] and [email protected]. Each domain represents a different company in our orginization. If send an email from an external email account (for example my yahoo account) to [email protected], the email will be sent to [email protected], [email protected] and [email protected]. Those accounts all receive the same email, however the email was alone sent to [email protected].

Comment

I'm still confused.

Sticking with my example, have you got a single user called fred (shall we say) and he's got [email protected], fre[email protected] and [email protected]?

For this example, Fred has the single account and [email protected], [email protected] and [email protected] are 'just' email addresses associated with the Fred account.

In this example, Fred would still get only one message in his mailbox.

-or- are you saying:

You have three different users, [email protected], [email protected] and [email protected].

And when an email is sent to [email protected], the other two users get the same message too?

Comment

Sticking with your example, fred is a single user and he's got [email protected], [email protected] and [email protected] as email addresses associated with his account.

In my situation, Fred receives the same email in all three email address.

Is it possible that there is a problem with my DNS settings??? Thank You

Comment

OK. I'm fully on side now. Sorry I took so long to understand this.

I can't think what the problem might be. I would say that your DNS should probably be OK. Otherwise, you'd find it hard to receive any mail.

So, as I understand it, you send mail from the outside world to [email protected]. Fred opens Outlook and finds that he actually has three messages.

Can I offer loads of questions and prescribe some tests?

Q1 In Outlook, could you examine each of the three duplicate messages to see if they have the same message ID? You'll find this in the headers when you open each message and then View-Options. The message ID is a long hex number.

Is the message ID the same for each message?

Q2 Does this happen with just Fred? Or is it anyone configured this way?

Q3 With Fred, does this happen if he sends a message to himself?

Q4 Moving slightly outwards, it would be good to test 'within' the server by telnetting on the server to the server itself, and sending a test message to [email protected].

If Fred then gets three emails at this point, then we know that it is some setting on your server that is causing the problem. I can't think where the problem might be as yet, but maybe someone else will have an idea. Maybe on your reply, something will ping in my head.

But I wouldn't expect the problem to be here so this might be a process of elimination...!

There'll be good instructions on telnet if you need it on the web, and even on this site.

Q5. You are here because Q4 didn't replicate the problem? Here, we should move further away from the server. Are there any other Exchange Servers or SMTP servers that you might have, configured to receive mail from the Internet? If so, you need to do the telnet thing again but from this\these servers.

If you couldn't replicate the problem in Q4, but you can here, then the SMTP server at this point is the problem.

But if your telnet test only results in one mail to Fred, then it is time for Q6.

Q6. You are here because you did Q5, or because you didn't have a server to test at Q5. Hello!

Here, it will be a test that you have probably tried before. Send a message to Fred from your Yahoo account to Fred. But it is more significant this time, if you have got this far because I reckon that you will have a discrete number of suspects left at this point.

If you test here, and Fred receives three emails, then it can only be the following:

1. Something wrong with your ISP.

Once you send a message to [email protected] from Yahoo, your mail is a single message that passes one at a time through Yahoo's various mail servers. At some point, a Yahoo server will ask its external DNS how to get to banana.com. Because Fred already receives mail, your DNS entry for banana.com must be good. I'm imagining that mail for banana.com is probably not going direct to your servers, but to your ISP first before they forward it to your servers.

I reckon that a misconfiguration at your ISP is causing them to forward a copy of each mail to your other domains.

Well, this will be a good story if it has a happy ending!

robbyb

Comment

Something to add that I just was made aware of:

The people that are having the problem have an account for each of the three e-mail address in there Outlook 2003. When they click send/receive on the Outlook program, it login on all three accounts. Does exchange have a problem with this setup? If I create profiles for the others accounts, will that work better or am I just covering a big problem?

Comment

That Outlook set up is fine, although I would have had users use a single mailbox and then assign each user the three domain email addresses via AD. But you may have a reason for doing it that way and Exchange won't have a problem with that. Just want to check - your users shouldn't have to click send\receive. Your users have a mialbox(es) on your server and Outlook is configured normally - you haven't got it configured for POP3 or anything else have you?

I don't think creating Outlook profiles will help you with your problem. And how did you get on with my questions?

Comment

Yes, they do have there accounts configured for POP3. I have been trying to setup the HTTP access through RPC, but I am running into problems. Outlook is saying that the "Exchange Server is unavailable". I recently setup SSL for my server.

Sorry about the delayed response. Thank you for your help.
                  Last edited by joes4tune; 12th June 2007, 01:50.

Comment

Working...
                  X