Problem connecting to Exchange server 2003

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem connecting to Exchange server 2003

I have setup an Exchange server under a domain xxx.local and created the mailboxes for all the users in AD. When trying to connect to to the exchange server from a pc connected and joined in the same domain and after i input the server name in the exchange input box ( i have even tried the ip and netbios name) and part of the username in the mailbox input box (it resovles ok) a screen is poped requiring me to enter a username and password for the domain in the format of netbiosname\username. After completing the inout for both username/password the box is displayed again not allowing outlook to start. Is this a DNS problem? What can I do to fx this problem?

Re: Problem connecting to Exchange server 2003

If the workstations are a part of the domain then I can only assume your DNS is working right, because if it is not, you would probably have other issues with AD.

Is the user that's logged on to the machine the same as the one you're trying to open the mailbox?
    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Yes the user is logged on is the same as the mailbox that I try to open in the mailbox. I have no other issues with dns. Its resolves evrything ok. what else can the problem be? Can you give me some guidelines on what to look for?

Thanks

Thomas

Comment

Is this for all your users? Or just one person?

If it's just the one person then I would suspect a problem with how the user is configured in AD. Check that the user logon name in the Accounts tab is the same as the alias in the Exchange General tab. This should both be the same as the logon name the user actually uses to logon to the PC.

But I suppose it can't be for all your users, otherwise you've got real problems!

robbyb

Comment

this applies to all the users

Comment

Can you check with the administrators mailbox and let us know ??
            ________
            N02 vaporizer
            Last edited by Skak12; 13th April 2011, 13:28.

Comment

Administrator Works Ok

Comment

I can see where Skak12 is going with this. With the administrator working OK, this points even more (to me) to a permissions issue with your other accounts.

Is this a new box you've created? And you've just created the users and their mailboxes?

I think that I've seen a situation like this when some form of replication isn't working, or some aspect of the RUS isn't working.

When you created your user accounts and mailboxes, is a default email address being generated (after 15 mins)? Or have you had to add the email address 'manually'?

Comment

yes robbyb is having a valid point please check how much time it takes to generate the email address
                  ________
                  IOLITE VAPORIZER REVIEW
                  Last edited by Skak12; 13th April 2011, 13:28.

Comment

I would suggest looking at the Recipient Update Service. This is what is used to replicate changes to Active Directory.

I have had a similiar problem twice. For the first occassion, after Exchange had been working fine for about 6 months, all of a sudden all new accounts stopped getting their email addresses, etc. Mailbox existed, but could not be logged into.

After much searching, RUS was the culprit. For this occassion, I had to actually stop\restart the Exchange information store service, to bring all functionality back.

For the second occassion (which just occured), was in the process of migrating Exchange mailboxes to our new Cluster Server. Migration worked fine, but every once and a while, after I would move a mailbox, user could not access (with similiar problems that you describe). This was a much easier fix.

Simply opened Exchange System Manager, expand Recipient Update Service, and right click on both the RUS services (one Enterprise Configuration, and one with your domain name). Select "Update Now" on each (Not Rebuild) which forces replication to Active Directory.

I would probably start with that first. Run the Update Now, wait a couple of minutes, and then check your emailboxes again.

Comment

Also, look at the membership of the Exchange Domain Servers and Exchange Ent Servers groups, and re-run setup /forestperp is needed.
                      Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                      Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
                      MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Working...
                      X