HELP, unable to reclaim disk space after moving inbox content

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP, unable to reclaim disk space after moving inbox content

Hi…This is my first ever posting. But I can really use some help….

I support an exchange server 2003 std ed.6.5 sp2 on a 2003 std ed server, resources are getting scarce…….And I desperately need to get a grip on disk usage…I convinced one of the users to move much (over 2gig) of the old mail from his In box, at his desktop using outlook 2003, to data folders residing on a mapped share on a file server. ..He now has easy access to his goodies, I can keep an eye on them, And the concept is easier for him to understand then archiving, (He’s an attorney).
    I see the corresponding pst files on the file server getting bigger, reflecting use. And I see the users mail box smaller by a corresponding amt ...But when I check disk use in windows I see no change…I’ve since preformed a “regular” backup of the mail store and it looks to be the same size as a prev. backup ?????..Several nights have passed, allowing for online defrags, So now I’m not sure what to do…afraid of offline defrags…and since I could easily be missing something obvious I thought i'd beg for help…
    ANY THOUGHTS WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED……….. Thanks…

Re: HELP, unable to reclaim disk space after moving inbox content

You have the right idea, to reclaim drive space you need to do an offline defrag, its the only way. However that is not a routine operation, you really need to add HD capacity.
    "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Thank you for your thoughts, but with only 2 gigs of remaining space to work with, I expect to be living life with my fingers crossed for some time.

Couple of additional questions though Is the process of archiving functionally the same as simply moving mail into an external data folder.

And will exchange make good use of all that “white space”

Comment

Originally posted by ecmx View Post
        Thank you for your thoughts, but with only 2 gigs of remaining space to work with, I expect to be living life with my fingers crossed for some time.
        You are very brave.......
        Couple of additional questions though Is the process of archiving functionally the same as simply moving mail into an external data folder.
        If you mean dragging an email into a windows folder vs archiving into a PST then no there are very different and actually doing it that way can result in loss of emails, eg. when two emails share the same subject. I would recommend archiving to a PST.
        And will exchange make good use of all that “white space”
        Yes.

I do feel your pain though, Attorneys are pack rats and keep everything forever
        Good Luck
        "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Thanks once again
          ..and yes, I meant moving mail into a data folder ( pst file) vs "archive".

Comment

Working...
          X