No announcement yet.

What do I change in DNS after changing SMTP Virtual Server name?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do I change in DNS after changing SMTP Virtual Server name?

I have a registered domain name .com. The MX record points to my public IP, goes through my PIX, NATs, goes to my Barracuda and then to my main office exchange 2003 server. Have a second office, in the same domain with an exchange server. I have a routing group setup so that all mail comes back to the main office and leaves from there. My internal domain is different then my registered, ending in .local. I want to change the default SMTP virtual server name to (from servername.internaldomain.local), but when I do, people in my branch office can not send mail externally. It comes back <branchofficeservername.internaldomain.local #5.5.0 smtp;550 <[email protected]>: Recipient address rejected: No such domain at this location. Internal mail flows fine. Users at the main office have no problem with internal or external mail. I am pretty sure that it is just a DNS entry that needs to be added or changed, but I haven't been able to find anything more specific in my searches. Hopefully someone can help me out with some specific instructions on what I need to do in my DNS. I tried adding an A record of to my forward look up zone, but that did not work. Can someone tell me more specifacally what record and where it needs to be placed to fix this?

Re: What do I change in DNS after changing SMTP Virtual Server name?

Where are you changing the SMTP name? On the main server or on the brand office server?
    On the SMTP virtual server of both machines, make sure that you have the IP address set to a specific IP address rather than all unassigned. If you have to change, recreate the routing group connector and SMTP connectors.

Simon Butler
    Exchange MVP

More Exchange Content:
    Exchange Resources List:
    In the UK? Hire me:

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.