Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Move exchange 2000 installed on DC to new exchange 2003 server. ?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Move exchange 2000 installed on DC to new exchange 2003 server. ?

Hello,
    I search in internet and i get here. But cannot find answer to my question.

I have exchange 2000 installed on my DC. Now i need to move it on new windows 2003 server. and upgrade to exchange 2003, without DC.
    And i don't know how to do it.
    Please advice me.
    Thanks.

Re: Move exchange 2000 installed on DC to new exchange 2003 server. ?

Act as the following:
    1. Install another DC in your domain.
    2. Verify replication.
    3. Install a new Exchange 2003 server (different server from the new DC in step 1), in the same Exchange organization as the Exchange 2000.
    4. Verify that the Schema was extended using the exdeploy /orgprepcheck:
    http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/...Explained.html
    5. move the PF, mailboxes and verify Exchange replication:
    http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/...-Hardware.html
    6. Uninstall the old Exchange 2000 server.
    CNE 5, CCA, MCSE NT4.0-2003, MCSE 2003 messaging, Exchange Server MVP.
    Tzahi Kolber - IT Supervisor
    Polycom Israel.

Comment

In this case witch server will be my primary DC old or new ?
      And i want only old DC.

Comment

I would recommand you to have 2 DCs in case of faileure in one of them - the new DC can be even PC and not a server (it is better then stay with only one DC....
        CNE 5, CCA, MCSE NT4.0-2003, MCSE 2003 messaging, Exchange Server MVP.
        Tzahi Kolber - IT Supervisor
        Polycom Israel.

Comment

If you want to retain your existing DC as a DC, then simply build the Windows 2003 machine as normal add to the domain, patch etc.
          Then put the Exchange 2003 CD in to the drive, let it auto play. Follow the auto play prompts which guide you through forest and domain prep and then the installation of the Exchange server itself.
          Patch Exchange with the latest service pack.
          Then configure public folder replication and wait. It takes a while to come off Exchange 2000.
          Once public and system folders have replicated, move the mailboxes using move mailbox.
          Leave the old Exchange server running for a week or so, then remove it using add/remove programs.

There is a lot more to it, I have more instructions on my web site here:
          http://www.amset.info/exchange/migration.asp

However to get the full feature set of Exchange 2003 you do need a Windows 2003 domain controller.

Simon.
          --
          Simon Butler
          Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
          More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
          Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
          In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

Thank you all for help.
            I will start the procedure in the end of month.
            If i have any problems i will be back and ask again.

Comment

Hello again, some feedback for now

I install exchange on the new server (make DC before that, just for sure) And now moving the mailboxes. Some of them are large 5 gb
              I dont have problems for now except that i cannot open second mailbox from one outlook. If mailbox is on old server i can.
              Another question is why every log file like E0000A0C.log is 5120 KB big. Is that normal ? I have 15 gb of it.
              Thank you.

Comment

Exchange 2003 is more strict on security, and actually removes permissions you used to have like Full Mailbox Access . If you could open a mailbox when you were on Exchange 2000 but you can't now that you have migrated to Exchange 2003, you need to look at your permissions again.

Those 5120Kb are your 5Mb log files. Exchange uses them all the time. You probably have that many because you haven't backed up your Exchange databases (using an Exchange-aware product) in a while.

If you are doing lots of mailbox moves then this process also uses logs.

You need to do a backup and maybe as soon as possible before you run out of disk space! If you can't take a backup right now and you are running out of disk space then you might consider enabling circular logging. Doing so will get rid of the logs, switching Exchange to operating on a handful of log files (two main log files for transactions). This is not recommended even short term on a Mailbox server as it limits your ability to recover from a disaster...

robbyb

Comment

Originally posted by lg911 View Post
                  Hello again, some feedback for now

I install exchange on the new server (make DC before that, just for sure) And now moving the mailboxes. Some of them are large 5 gb
                  I dont have problems for now except that i cannot open second mailbox from one outlook. If mailbox is on old server i can.
                  Another question is why every log file like E0000A0C.log is 5120 KB big. Is that normal ? I have 15 gb of it.
                  Thank you.
                  I'm sorry but I cannot understand why you made the new server also a DC? Wasn't the point to transfer Exchange to a new server that wasn't a DC?
                  Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                  Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
                  MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

danielp

We decide this just for sure if the old dc have hardware problems and etc.

Comment

I see the reason for having 2 DCs, but why put one of them on the Exchange server???
                      Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                      Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
                      MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Originally posted by danielp View Post
                        I see the reason for having 2 DCs, but why put one of them on the Exchange server???
                        because we have only 2 servers

Today i have big problem. When i send e-mail in domain it is delivered at the moment. But when try to send outside domain it takes 4-5 hours to deliver.
                        Last edited by lg911; 12th June 2007, 09:29.

Comment

Originally posted by robbyb View Post
                          Exchange 2003 is more strict on security, and actually removes permissions you used to have like Full Mailbox Access . If you could open a mailbox when you were on Exchange 2000 but you can't now that you have migrated to Exchange 2003, you need to look at your permissions again.
                          robbyb
                          Sorry for double post.
                          Did you explain me where to check my permissions please.
                          Thank you.

Comment

In the Exchange version of Active Directory Users and Computers, open a user's AD entry\properties.

In the Exchange Advanced tab, click on the Mailbox Rights button, and in the resultant window, add yourself to the list, if you are not already there.

Give yourself "Full Mailbox Access". Make sure you actually have the permission of the mailbox owner, or otherwise comply with your company's IT Policy. Accessing someone's mailbox without permission can get you in a lot of hot water in many companies....

robbyb

Comment

10x this is the solution.
                              I have another 2 issues.
                              I have about 140 queues. Is that normal ? First days massages are delay abot 4-8 hours. Now is ok, some times delays 5 min but is accepteble.

Here is some reasons of delayed queues :
                              Unable to bind to the destination server in DNS.
                              The connection was dropped due to an SMTP protocol event sink.
                              The connection was dropped by the remote host.
                              The remote server did not respond to a connection attempt.
                              An SMTP protocol error occurred.

Is this problem on my dns or that is normal ?

Secon issue is this;
                              I have this error massage in aplication log.

A non-delivery report with a status code of 5.3.5 was generated for recipient rfc822;[email protected] (Message-ID <[email protected]>).
                              Causes: A looping condition was detected. (The server is configured to route mail back to itself). If you have multiple SMTP Virtual Servers configured on your Exchange server, make sure they are defined by a unique incoming port and that the outgoing SMTP port configuration is valid to avoid looping between local virtual servers.
                              Solution: Check the configuration of the virtual serverĘs connectors for loops and ensure each virtual server is defined by a unique incoming port.

I have only one SMTP virtual server. And i not have external DNS servers added in Default SMTP virtual server.

thank you

Comment

Working...
                              X