Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I restore a database to another domain in a DR situation?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I restore a database to another domain in a DR situation?

We have a customer with a site which has 1 x Terminal Server and 1 x AD, Exchange box.

The old server was replaced and the user wants to use this in a DR situation. So we have the same tape drive, backup software and OS (SBS2003 SP2).

The two servers are on different sites across town and are only linked by a low speed ADSL link meaning we cant do a live sync across the pair of them due to the traffic required I belive. If im wrong please correct me.

So my questions:

1. Does the DR server need to be in teh same domain and called the same as our AD/Exchange server?

2. If it can be in a differnet domain, how do we restore the MS Exchange into a different domain bearing in mind if a DR is required we wont have access to the main server or its AD

Kind Regards

Dave

Re: How do I restore a database to another domain in a DR situation?

That ADSL link is likely to be too slow for any snazzy replication. That sort of replication is complex and expensive, requiring extra hardware at each end, including a SAN (or maybe a NAS) at each end.

1. Got to be in the same domain\AD and be called the same server name, I'm afraid.

2. See 1.

Probably the cheapest and best way to go about this might be:

1. Extend AD over the to the DR site by configuring the ADSL routers between the sites in some way, and then installing a Domain Controller at the DR site.

2. At the DR site, establish a separate Test Network. Make sure it is not connected the the Live network (via that ADSL router).

3. Make the Test Network 'look and feel' the same as the Live Network
    3a. Find a way to copy the AD on your DC there. Probably best to clone the hard disk in the DC and install the cloned disk in the designated DC in the Test Network.

4. Now that your Test Network with its solitary DC is ready, install your obsolete Exchange Server hardware there, and build it as you have for your Live Exchange Server.

5. Back on your Live Network, at your Live Exchange Server, take a full backup.

6. At your Test Network, perform a full restore. Voila!

If this were a real disaster, then..

7. Move your Test Exchange Server from Test to Live at the DR Site.

The gotchas are:

A> You need to establish a routine where your backups are kept off-site. But you probably do that already.

B> Extra hardware required to establish this.

Comment

Robby,

Thanks very much just the sort of info I was looking for

Cheers

Dave

Comment

Glad I could help.

robbyb

Comment

Working...
        X