Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I use Exchange 2003 as a POP3 Server?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I use Exchange 2003 as a POP3 Server?

Hi, this may be a stupid question, but can you use Exchange's virtual pop server as a POP3 Server. I was approached by an employee who wish to use outlook express to get to her mailbox on exchange. Is this possible, if not what are some possible work arounds?

Thanks

Short answer: Yes.

You'll need to enable the service (its disabled by default) and open any ports that might be closed and it should work.
    Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

I've tried that and have virtual pop enabled, and here are my other questions.

What do I put in for the pop3 and smtp servers in outlook express? is it the server ip address of my exchange server?

Also, it seems that I can only log into the POP3 account with my administrator password

and how will outlook express know which mailbox to download?

kevin

Comment

Originally posted by neogeo8000
        What do I put in for the pop3 and smtp servers in outlook express? is it the server ip address of my exchange server?
        Yes, the servers IP will work. Are they external or internal users?

Originally posted by neogeo8000
        How will outlook express know which mailbox to download?
        They'll need to authenticate using the User name / Password found in Active Directory.
        Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks for all the help, it is working like a charm now. Somehow my own login had POP3 disabled, went into domain users and enabled it and it's working fine

Comment

Excellent, I'm glad to hear that.
            Andrew

Comment

Just take into mind that using Outlook Express - default would download the mails from the server - which means that you will have no backup of mails on the server.
              Best Regards

Heino Skov
              System Consultant

Comment

Heino is right, if you want to keep the mail on your server you'll need to configure OE to leave a copy of it on the server.

BTW, if you just need a POP3 server why run Exchange and not the built-in free Win2003 POP3 server?
                Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
                MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Working...
                X