Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange Server 2000 E-mail Issues

Hi,

Running Exchange Server 2000 Standard, with Active Directory. Windows XP and 2000 machines running either Office 2000 or 2003.

A lot of people are getting the following error message when sending to internall DL's accross our LAN:

Reporting-MTA: dns;mail.XYZ.org

Final-Recipient: rfc822;[email protected]
    Action: delayed
    Will-Retry-Until: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 14:20:43 -0400
    X-Display-Name: Smith, Tom

I went in and edited all of the users e-mail in active directory to have the same smtp address, example smtp address: [email protected] and checked off the box for update recipient policy.

I thought part of the problem was that several of the users profiles had differing primary smtp addresses.

I went into Exchange Server Manager (Sorry I'm Tired and not at my work computer, this may be the wrong name) and went under global settings and right clicked on recipients and chose update and rebuild.

When I checked on it later, it had changed all the primary smtp addresses from [email protected] to [email protected]

First Question: Why did this happen??

Second question: What's the easiest way to change it back?

(without the mind numbing task of going through and changing everyone's primary e-mail address again.)

Third Question: How do I fix the delay error problems??

Fourth Question: There are E-mail DL's setup in AD for all users, SMTP:[email protected]

How do I make sure everyone will receive an e-mail from a DL setup like this?
    (the delay errors are happening when people send to DL's)

Fifth Question:
    Our primary e-mail addresses are setup as: Example: [email protected]

Could there be a conflict with the DL smtp addresses being setup like [email protected] ???

I appreciate any and all help with this!!! If you have ansers with screen shots that would be the best or detailed answers appreciated!!!

Thanks!!!!

Cheers!!

Re: Exchange Server 2000 E-mail Issues

First Question: Why did this happen??
    You touched something!

Joking aside, when you tick the "Automatically update email address..." as you did when you updated your users in Active Directory, you told Exchange to add those new email addresses. This won't have deleted the old addresses away, but would add the new addresses ([email protected]) and set them as the primary email address....

Second question: What's the easiest way to change it back?Take a look at Recipient Policies in ESM. When you check the right-hand pane, you should see a Default Policy. Open this and check the E-Mail address policy tab. There, you can add back your XYZ.org email address, and you'll see that you can make that one the primary address.

Once you've done this, you might need to give it 15 mins or so, and then you should see it automatically do your bidding!

For your other questions, well, I've got to catch my train now...

... maybe someone else can take the baton? Otherwise I'll try to login tomorrow. In the meantime, could you tell us if anything significant happened beforehand? Mind you, if you are banned, you might not be able to reply....?

Regards,

RobbyB

Comment

JW is banned for duplicating posts.
      VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
      boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
      My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Yeah, I know.

Seems a harsh decision though. Seemed as if he hardly got a warning...

Comment

Originally posted by robbyb View Post
          Yeah, I know.

Seems a harsh decision though. Seemed as if he hardly got a warning...
          You don't get warnings here; you read the rules before you post and then you follow them.

Tom
          For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Can't wait until they let me have 30 minutes for exercise.

Comment

Originally posted by robbyb View Post
              Can't wait until they let me have 30 minutes for exercise.
              Exercise has a life ban for posting spam!!
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
              X