DO NOT recover deleted items.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DO NOT recover deleted items.

I want to make sure that what I have deleted from my Deleted Items folder is no longer recoverable, as it contains personal emails.

How can I set this up on my mailbox without it affecting any of the other users?

PS. Outlook 2003, Exchange 2003 and I'm the admin!
    |
    +-- JDMils
    |
    +-- Regional Systems Engineer, DotNet programmer & Jack of all trades
    |

Re: DO NOT recover deleted items.

This configuration is per Mailbox store, therefore if you must do it, create a new mailbox store with only one mailbox (the one you spoke about) and change the defaults to 0 instead of 7 days:
    http://www.petri.com/using_outlook_2...eted_items.htm
    CNE 5, CCA, MCSE NT4.0-2003, MCSE 2003 messaging, Exchange Server MVP.
    Tzahi Kolber - IT Supervisor
    Polycom Israel.

Comment

If you cannot create an additional mailbox store or do not wish to, another option is to select the emails that you wish to delete permanently from the inbox or any other folder than the deleted items container. Hold the shift key and then hit the delete key. You will be prompted to make sure that you want to delete the item permanently, hit yes and the item cannot be recovered from the "Recover Deleted Items" option. This way you can do it on a case by case basis.

Comment

But for reason exactly the retention time was created....

see the link I sent in my previous response.
        CNE 5, CCA, MCSE NT4.0-2003, MCSE 2003 messaging, Exchange Server MVP.
        Tzahi Kolber - IT Supervisor
        Polycom Israel.

Comment

Originally posted by WCarroll View Post
          If you cannot create an additional mailbox store or do not wish to, another option is to select the emails that you wish to delete permanently from the inbox or any other folder than the deleted items container. Hold the shift key and then hit the delete key. You will be prompted to make sure that you want to delete the item permanently, hit yes and the item cannot be recovered from the "Recover Deleted Items" option. This way you can do it on a case by case basis.
          Sorry, i don't agree with what you said. SHIFT DELETE will only bypass the DUMPSTER folder, but items are STILL RECOVERABLE!

What you can do is configure the deleted item retention per USER in DSA.MSC.
          Cheers,

Daniel Petri
          Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
          MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

If you empty the recover deleted items folder then the items are gone anyway.

Simon.
            --
            Simon Butler
            Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
            More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
            Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
            In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

Originally posted by WCarroll View Post
              WCarroll, Items that are deleted in this way CAN be recovered with a registry patch, as explained here.

What you can do is configure the deleted item retention per USER in DSA.MSC.
              I'll look into Daniel's trick and let you know what I find.
              |
              +-- JDMils
              |
              |

Comment

Items are still recoverable even when you empty the Deleted Items folder (the usual option that users know).

But if you purge it, as Sembee says, then they can't be recovered.

However, if you shift-delete a message, then this message does not go to the Deleted Items folder as Daniel says. It is not actually permanently deleted either but rather marked for deletion, and hidden in the folder you actually shift-deleted it in. It can be recovered if you have enough Exchange permissions, and a registry key on your PC. Get this combo, and you will be able to Recover Deleted Items from all other folders and not just the Deleted Items folder.

I'd say, before you leave your company, delete normally and then do a Sembee and purge!

robbyb

Comment

Sorry JD, didn't see your reply - and you've said pretty much what I've said.

Sorry.

Comment

As Sembee suggested, if you select the Recover Deleted Items option while the Deleted Items folder is highlighted, a dialog box will show all items in retention. There is a button marked with an "X". It's balloon says "Purge Seleced Items", which it seems to do!

Problem solved.
                    |
                    +-- JDMils
                    |
                    |

Comment

Working...
                    X