Offline message

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Offline message

Just implemented my exchange server Thursday successfully. Now I have one user who has a red circle with a white X on a grey square. I place my mouse over it and it say "Microsoft Outlook is Offline".

How do I get Outlook back online? It has proper IP, DNS and it is even getting its emails.

Re: Offline message

Originally posted by tedkilroy View Post
    I place my mouse over it and it say "Microsoft Outlook is Offline".
    You place you mouse over it. What is it?
    What version of Exchange?
    What version of Outlook?
    What is the client operating system?
    What is the server operating system? Is it a DC?
    Info.
    Info.
    Info!!
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

You place you mouse over it. What is it?
      Place mouse over the icon to read the description. Which told me MS Outlook was offline.

What version of Exchange?

Outlook 2003

What is the client operating system?
      XP SP2

What is the server operating system? Is it a DC?
      DC 2003 SBS
      Exchange Server-2003 Standard w/Exchange 03

Did a quick search and found what might be a temporary or permament solution. I search within Outlook for "Outlook Offline" and found the following:

"To always start Outlook offline, click Manually control connection state, and then click Work offline and use dial-up networking.

To choose each time you start Outlook whether to work offline or online, click Manually control connection state, and then select the Choose the connection type when starting check box.

To always connect to the network, click Manually control connection state, and then click Connect with the network.

To have Outlook automatically detect whether you can connect or not, click Automatically detect connection state. If Outlook is unable to connect with your server, it opens in offline mode automatically".

Although this worked and I can now see the user in:
      Domain/Admin Groups/1st Storage Groups/Mailbox Store/logons
      This doesn't sound right. One out of fifteen. I should not of had to change user connection from Auto to Manual.

Comment

Going out on limb but I think you need to uncheck Work Offline.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	offline.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	13.0 KB
ID:	463082

EDIT - just saw your last post. You should probably put it back to Automatic. The reason it was set to Offline is because it could not contact the Exchange server when Outlook was started. If you leave it to Automatic, it should rectify the problem next time you open Outlook, provided the server is available. To attempt a connection without closing Outlook, follow the method I described above.
        Last edited by JeremyW; 10th April 2007, 17:25.
        Regards,
        Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
        Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
        www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Working...
        X