Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re-direct e-mail using MX record priorities

Dear All,

Would like to have clarifications on a doubt that's just cropped up in my mind..

Below is the nslookup dump...

Non-authoritative answer:
    www.adfactorspr.com canonical name = adfactorspr.com
    adfactorspr.com MX preference = 10, mail exchanger = webmail.adfactorspr.com
    adfactorspr.com MX preference = 5, mail exchanger = owamail.adfactorspr.com
    adfactorspr.com MX preference = 10, mail exchanger = spamnet.netbizsystems.us
    adfactorspr.com MX preference = 0, mail exchanger = spam.netbizsystems.net

adfactorspr.com nameserver = dns25.register.com
    adfactorspr.com nameserver = dns26.register.com

webmail.adfactorspr.com internet address = 59.181.118.25
    owamail.adfactorspr.com internet address = 203.115.119.93
    spamnet.netbizsystems.us internet address = 72.26.228.10
    spam.netbizsystems.net internet address = 210.210.24.139

dns25.register.com internet address = 216.21.234.83
    dns26.register.com internet address = 216.21.226.83

The situation goes like this ......

Currently our e-mails are being hosted by 3rd party hosting services.

I'm trying to set up an Exchange server environment at our office.

Now as per the MX record entires, my exchange server link points to the IP address 203.115.119.93 (Public).........and i have users defined on this server.

Now my question is.

1. Is it possible to route messages for users defined on my exchange server thru the MX record defined with priority of 5 which is lower than the MX record defined at priority 0 ??

2. Will the mails destined for the mail-server at MX 5, skip the mail-server defined at MX 0 ???

3. Is there any setting which can make this effective ??

Thanks in advance

Re: Re-direct e-mail using MX record priorities

I believe I've answered this question in the other thread. You cannot keep your MX records like this. You need to decide who is going to receive your e-mail from now on...your 3rd party hosting solution or your new exchange server installation. It's gotta be one or the other. That is why when you send an e-mail from Exchange to yourself at GMail it gets there, because your exchange server seems to be setup ok, but when you respond it goes to your 3rd party hosting company and there you don't have a "[email protected]" e-mail address. You are misunderstanding the way replying to an e-mail works.

Comment

Hi Kingbear,

Yes, i did understand that from Robby's advice....

But the problem i face is,

My exchange server is still not fully fit to be servicing users at this moment.

So i wanted to know,

If i set my exchange server at MX 0, and the 3rd party's server at MX 5, what would happen to the users who exist on MX 0 ???

Wud the users still recieve their e-mail at MX 5 ???

Wud it affect the speed of delivery of e-mails ???

Wud they recieve NDR of their mails ???

Thanks a lot for your advice

"I'm actually learning Exchange Server now "

Comment

Keep going Avid!

The MX records are quite separate from whatever you do and the users and their email addresses on your Exchange Server.

You can't control which server gets the mail via MX records; it's all by the numbers only. An incoming mail will try your 0 first and if that doesn't answer, then it will try the next number, and so on...

Because you've got your users on your POP3 hosting thing, I think your best bet is to take out all references to your Exchange Servers out of your DNS entry. Do this and I guess it will look like this:

adfactorspr.com MX preference = 10, mail exchanger = spamnet.netbizsystems.us
        adfactorspr.com MX preference = 0, mail exchanger = spam.netbizsystems.net

That gets your users back to normal.

And then because it sounds like your Exchange Servers aren't quite ready for production, they need to go into a new DNS entry altogether for testing. You could maybe go for a sub-domain called test.adfactorspr.com.

Then your new DNS MX record could be:

test.adfactorspr.com MX preference = 10, mail exchanger = webmail.adfactorspr.com
        test. adfactorspr.com MX preference = 5, mail exchanger = owamail.adfactorspr.com

Give all your test mailboxes\users on your server a new address of [email protected] and you are back in business! You can carry on testing without fear of disturbing your present users.

When you are happy, it is just a case of adding back in the MX records into your main domain, and organising the switchover.

But as Kingbear says, you do need to sort your MX records out and this is maybe the best way to do it.

Hope this helps, and don't give up the fight!

Comment

Whaooo,

Robbyb, thanks u thank u thank u......

that was a damn good explanation......

No wonder i'm learning exchange server quickly.......

By the way, another lame question ..... how do i create the test.adfactorspr.com domain and point it to the respective.... MX record ie. webmail.adfactorspr.com ....

And question no. 2, if i create a user by the name [email protected], will it be easy to revert back to the normal [email protected] ..........

As usual, please help me

Regards

Comment

Glad it's all working out for you.

How to create the test.adfactorspr.com domain and point it to the respective MX record? Get on the phone to your ISP and they do all that for you! You might otherwise have some web interface to your account at your ISP that mihgt let you do this...

And to your question no. 2, if i create a user by the name [email protected], will it be easy to revert back to the normal [email protected]?

It'll be easy because you'll only create an AD account called 'test'. After that, you'll be able to give it one, or both email addresses. You'll be able to remove any of the email addresses when you are ready.

Keep it going.

Comment

Working...
            X