Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange server does not start automatically. Part 2

Hi all,

I posted a thread on this issue a few months ago, and I got some help here that let me resolve alot of issues with my exchange server, but I was not able to resolve the main problem, which is the Exchange server fails to start automatically after a reboot. I have decided to get rid of this Exchange server and build a new one from scratch. So I did, but the funny thing is, the new server is doing the same exact thing as the old one. It does not start the Exchange services automatically upon a reboot.

its a W2k3 SP2 Enterprise box with Exchange 2003 SP 2.

there are only 4 error messages in the Event logs. I will list them in chronological order.

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: MSExchangeDSAccess
    Event Category: Topology
    Event ID: 2104
    Date: 4/2/2007
    Time: 11:37:33 AM
    User: N/A
    Computer: SKYWALKER
    Description:
    Process INETINFO.EXE (PID=1216). All the DS Servers in domain are not responding.

For more information, click http://www.microsoft.com/contentredirect.asp.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Event Source: MSExchangeSA
    Event Category: General
    Event ID: 1005
    Time: 11:37:52 AM
    Description:
    Unexpected error The server is not operational. Facility: Win32 ID no: 8007203a Microsoft Exchange System Attendant occurred.

For more information, click http://www.microsoft.com/contentredirect.asp.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Event Source: Service Control Manager
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 7001
    Time: 11:39:11 AM
    Description:
    The Microsoft Exchange Information Store service depends on the Microsoft Exchange System Attendant service which failed to start because of the following error:
    The operation completed successfully.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
    Event Source: Service Control Manager
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 7001
    Time: 11:39:11 AM
    Description:
    The Microsoft Exchange MTA Stacks service depends on the Microsoft Exchange System Attendant service which failed to start because of the following error:
    The operation completed successfully.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am thinking that this is not a local machine problem, but an AD or a DNS problem maybe a Schema problem. Netdiag shows no problems.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Re: Exchange server does not start automatically. Part 2

Some questions to ask:

how did you migrate the mailboxes?
    did you checked you're database for any errors with eseutil (use it at you're own risk!!!)
    how do you backup you're exchange server?
    Did you exclude the exchange databases and logfiles from the AV?
    Marcel
    Technical Consultant
    Netherlands
    http://www.phetios.com
    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Originally posted by Dumber View Post
      Some questions to ask:

how did you migrate the mailboxes?

I didn't move the mailboxes I just built the server. I have 2 Exchange servers the old one and the new one.

did you checked you're database for any errors with eseutil (use it at you're own risk!!!)

There is no need to check the database cause the server is new and the store is empty(except for the default mailboxes)

how do you backup you're exchange server?

My original server is backed up like this: Normal full online backup every night. The new server is not backed up cause there is nothing on it.

Did you exclude the exchange databases and logfiles from the AV?

No Anti-Virus software is installed on my Exchange boxes.
      I did move the mailboxes on to the new server temporarily but then moved them back to the original server. I moved them using System Manager. I have since rebuilt the new server from scratch several times but the problem is still there.
      Last edited by lwnemesis; 4th April 2007, 21:07.

Comment

I would say make sure your server is fully updated, as I know that there are problems with the INETINFO.EXE process starting after reboot as can be seen in the KB article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827214

Comment

Sounds too like your Exchange Server can't locate any Domain Servers in your domain. If it can't see any DC's or GC's then the top dog Exchange Service, System Attendant, will have difficulties in starting, and so the rest of Exchange won't start.

But you can start them manually.

This makes me think that you've got connectivity problems with your domain servers, and the key is in the first of your error messages. This error message leads to the others.

You don't say much about your infrastructure, but I'd look there first (assuming that you are not running everything on a single server), and maybe do things like tracert to the DC's to see that the trace isn't taking the long route there.

A good thing to run, if you install the Windows Support Tools firstly, is DCDIAG, NLTEST and NETDIAG. These are good tools to run to check out your network. Do a google on these to see how to use these.

Hope this helps...

Comment

but why can't it see dc's? The old Exchange server is a DC. The new Exchange server is not a DC but they both have the same exact problem. Is it possible that maybe a driver is initializing later in the startup sequence and that is what's preventing the startup?

As far as network infrastructure goes. I have 3 DCs. One of the DCs is the Exchange server. All 3 have the GC. Also have a second exchange server as a failover/testing server.

Comment

Problem fixed. This was a DNS issue. We have both Windows DNS and BIND DNS on Linux boxes. Exchange started automatically after I took out the Linux DNS IP address out of the Alternate DNS IP address field in the server's network card TCP/IP properties. We use Linux DNS internally and externally and also use Active directory DNS internally. Yes, I know this is stupid, but I didn't set it up that way. It should be Linux DNS externally and AD DNS internally. Now I have the task of redesining our network.

I would like to thank everyone for their comments and suggestions. Petri forums rule.
              Last edited by lwnemesis; 6th April 2007, 17:51.

Comment

Working...
              X