E-mail to one domain not being received

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E-mail to one domain not being received

I have Small Business Server 2003 with a functional Exchange Server 2003 SP2. Any mail I send to @sympatico.ca exits the queue, does not get returned, but the recipients never receives the e-mail.

I have tried several different people with an @sympatico.ca address and they never receive it. I can log in to a customers server in another city, send the e-mail and it is successfully received. The recipients in question claim not to have any e-mail problems.

I have IMF enabled, but I have no outgoing filters enabled. My server has worked almost flawlessly and this problem only started last week. I support many companies so there is a continuous flow of e-mail in and out of my company with no issues or problems.

A check of the even log shows no issues. My IP address has a reverse pointer to my MX record. I have sent an e-mail to sympatico.ca but do not expect any help from them because I am not a customer.

Can anyone offer any suggestions to what I might have overlooked? I am not on any blacklists either.
    Last edited by RobW; 3rd April 2007, 02:30.
    Network Engineers do IT under the desk

Re: E-mail to one domain not being received

what kinda hardware AV or spam filter does sympatico have? what happens when you request read reciepts?

do you have an IT contact at sympatico? can you verify the message is getting to them?
    its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
    Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

Sympatico is owned by Bell Canada (phone company) in Ontario Canada. Trying to get help out of them is harder than pulling teeth from a hen. So far I have not had any luck getting any help from them because I am not a customer.

I have read receipts on by default and do not get anything. I do not get a NDR either.

Comment

Tough one. You'd think that mail would get through to them - checking their MX records and they have 10, count 'em, 10 mail servers waiting to take your message!

Try to make a manual connection to their server. From your mailserver, open up a telnet session to mxmta.sympatico.ca and you'll be able to 'visually' see that you can make a connection to their servers. Well, every little test helps.

Try sending a test message manually this way. You are looking to see if your connection then gets dropped some way into this process. Again, every little helps! Here's a reminder on how to telnet:
        1. Telnet <servername> 25
        2. Turn on local echo on your telnet client so that you can see what you are typing.
        Issue command "set local_echo", from the telnet command prompt.

3. Issue the following smtp command sequence

helo <your domain name><enter>
        response should be as follows
        250 OK
        mail from: <your Email Address><enter>
        250 OK - mail from <your Email address>
        rcpt to: <recipient address><enter>
        250 OK - Recipient <recipient address>
        data<enter>
        354 Send data. End with CRLF.CRLF
        To: <recipient's display name><enter>
        Subject: <Subject field of Email message><enter>
        <Enter you body text><enter><enter> . <enter>
        250 OK
        quit<enter>

If you can prove that your mail gets this far, then I'm afraid this is as much as you can do. Your message is now somewhere within sympatico, and it could be stuck on some internal anti-spam system for example.

Regards,

RobbyB

Comment

Considering that is a major ISP, your messages are probably being dropped.

Are you sending your email directly or via a smart host? If you are sending them directly, switch to a smart host and see if that improves things. As you are using SBS you should not configure that by hand but use the internet and email connection wizard.

You may also want to put your domain in to dnsreport.com and see if it flags any errors in the mail server section.

Simon.
          --
          Simon Butler
          Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
          More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
          Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
          In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

We do not have a smarthost, we have out own domain and mail server. We have already checked our domain and there is nothing signifigant in the DNS report. We also checked out IP against blacklist.

Out of 5 @sympatico.ca addresses, we can send to one, the others disappear. For one address that does not get the e-mail, we can Telnet into the Sympatico SMTP server and they *do* receive the e-mail.

We ask our ISP and one other customer that uses the same broadband service to try e-mailing one of the failed addresses and the recipient does not receive any of the e-mails. I can turn around and immediately e-mail the same recipient using my Gmail account.

I turned on message tracking on my Exchange server and it shows in five instances (5 different acounts), the e-mail being passed of to a Sympatico SMTP server. A delivery receipt generated by our server is received.

I thought the issue may have been specific to Exchange 2003 server, but my ISP who tried to send an e-mail has a Linux server.

I'n stumped

Comment

UPDATE:

One of the Sympatico servers message trackin showed me passing the mail off to was toip24.srvr.bell.ca

In my event log for system is the following event ID 10009 and there are many of these:

DCOM was unable to communicate with the computer toip24.srvr.bell.ca using any of the configured protocols.

Any suggestions? The solution probably lies here.

Comment

Correction:

DCOM was unable to communicate with the computer toip24.srvr.bell.ca using any of the configured protocols

... only occurs when I try to FIND a message in MESSAGE TRACKING and has nothing to do with the missing e-mail.

Sorry

Comment

Are you able to consistantly send to exactly that one user? And consistantly fail to send to the other four?

It might be that 4 have mailboxes that are on one internal server within Symp, whilst the one that works, has a mialbox on another server.

It could be that on that server that consistantly does not work, it is set to reject mail that perhaps does not reverse DNS - but then Sembee has already pointed you to dnsreport.com and that website has a test for that, and you've given yourself the all clear there.

I think that you have done all you can from your end.

It would be for your 4 contacts to raise a call with their IT to help you resolve this now.

Good luck, especially as you say they are not that helpful..!

Regards,

robbyb

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I can always send to the same user. I just discovered a second user (none of the previous) that I can send to.

My reverse pointer is good. I 'remoted' into a customers new SBS server in a city 200 miles away that is on the same network as my broadband. I sent an e-mail as the administrator from that domain using OWA to one of the failed Sympatico accounts in question. The e-mail never arrived.

Comment

In which case, you've done as much as any IT person would. You are now at the mercy of Sympatico's IT. The problem is certainly with them, and maybe the server that those four are on.

It would be good, if you are on good terms with the 5 people involved, to see if they are on a common server or not.

But beyond that, .... good luck.

Regards,

robbyb

Comment

Working...
                      X