Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Exchange 03 on SBS 2000 - No inbound\outbound mail, and no errors!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange 03 on SBS 2000 - No inbound\outbound mail, and no errors!

Hi everyone,

Quick intro: I'm pretty good at computers, and have managed an exchange server for about a year, but never actually set one up. Recently I came across a Small Business Server 2003 already running Exchange 2003 but without it being configured. I followed many steps on msexchange.org and on this website to configure the exchange server. I have a domain pointing to the server, the MX records are (I think) set up properly, and the server is accessible from the internet. I can successfully access OWA from a remote location and access my mailbox. I can also successfully telnet into port 25 from a remote location and get a good response. Originally I was having problems with the Exchange MTA and routing the messages because of DNS, but I believe I cleared that up as well. Here is the issue - very simply put. I can send a message out from OWA and it seems to send successfully. Nothing in the Queue, no NDR, no errors in Event Viewer (Like I used to have) and the message appears in the sent items folder. But it never makes it to the recepient. In addition, when I send an e-mail to my mailbox on this new exchange server, it leaves my outbox fine (on the other exchange server that I run - the 2 are not connected whatsoever), appears in the Sent Items folder, no NDR (like I used to get before I changed some settings), and it's not in the Queue on the sending server (I know this because I manage the other exchange server and can see the queue).

So there you have it. Exchange seems to be set up properly, seems to be able to send and receive e-mail, but nothing! And to top it all off, no errors!

Please help. If anyone would like access to my server to play around a little I would be so greatful.

Thanks

-Eli

Re: Exchange 03 on SBS 2000 - No inbound\outbound mail, and no errors!

1. Check at the http://www.dnsstuff.com/ under "Domain Name Tests" - "DNS Report" and check that you have the right records (MX, PTR).
    2. Check that port 25/TCP (SMTP) is open from the Exchange outside.
    3. Try to send email using SMTPDiag:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en
    4. Did you configured the right domain in the recipient policy?
    http://www.petri.com/configure_excha...er_domains.htm
    http://www.petri.com/configure_speci...ange_users.htm
    CNE 5, CCA, MCSE NT4.0-2003, MCSE 2003 messaging, Exchange Server MVP.
    Tzahi Kolber - IT Supervisor
    Polycom Israel.

Comment

I'm pretty sure the MX records are set up ok, and I'm not sure what the PTR record is but DNSStuff seems to say they're ok. I'm also pretty sure that exchange is set to handle e-mail on my domain, even though the server name and domain are totally different. I think I may have narrowed down the problem. As per this MS article - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822939 - it seems that my SMTP connectors or verbs aren't installed correctly. When I telnet in and type ehlo, I don't get the last few lines of verbs which I'm supposed to be getting. The solution seems to be to reinstall IIS and Exchange. I think I've successfully reinstalled IIS, and now I'm trying to reinstall Exchange but I can't find the SBS 2003 CD. I'm trying to download it off the net now. If you have any ideas on how I can reinstall Exchange without that, please let me know.

The way I found what will hopefully be the solution, is because the Microsoft Exchange Routing service refused to start. First I did a reg edit mentioned on MS's website, but it still didn't start. That's when I found the 2nd MS article detailing the SMTP verbs.

I will post later if reinstalling Exchange fixed the problem. Thanks for helping.

-Eli

Comment

The IIS reinstallation after installing Exchange changes the IIS (and SMTP mainly) and therefore you must reinstall the Exchange.

I hope you will find the CD or search at ......

Good luck and update us.
        CNE 5, CCA, MCSE NT4.0-2003, MCSE 2003 messaging, Exchange Server MVP.
        Tzahi Kolber - IT Supervisor
        Polycom Israel.

Comment

Well, thankfully all is working ok now. The issue was that the SMTP verbs were not configured properly, and the only way to fix it was to re-install Exchange. Now when I telnet into my mail server and type ehlo, I get those last few lines of verbs. It was a pain, but it's working now.

Thanks for your help.

Comment

Working...
          X