Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Read Exchange attributes ADUC on external domain.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Read Exchange attributes ADUC on external domain.

Hi,
    I've busy to connenct several doamins (2000 and 2003 that is...) with external and forest trusts. I created an new Domain Local group on on of the external domains, which contains the Global group from the other domain.
    Everything (administering) seems to work just fine, but as soon as I connect to one of the external domains with ADUC and open the Exchange properties I get the error:

The operation failed
    ID no. : 80004005
    Microsoft Active Directory - Exchange Extension.

Is there technically an option to accomplish this case?

Regards,

Jos Zegers
    "You don`t need a parachute to sky-dive......you only need a parachute to sky-dive twice..."

Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate. To grant some reputation points to the user that helped you, just click on the little Yin-Yang icon on the right of the user's answer and follow the prompt.

Re: Read Exchange attributes ADUC on external domain.

1. Did you enable Netbios on your machine?
    2. Check that your workstation / server is familiar with the DNS on the other side.
    CNE 5, CCA, MCSE NT4.0-2003, MCSE 2003 messaging, Exchange Server MVP.
    Tzahi Kolber - IT Supervisor
    Polycom Israel.

Comment

Thanks Tzahi,

Yeah, both DNS and NetBios are configured as you described.

I forgot to mention that I am deploying the ADUC with the use of Citrix Presentation Server 4.0 as a published application for our ServiceDesk. (They are not on the same VLAN for security reasons.)

The Citrix Server however is on the same VLAN as the administrator workstations.(different firewall rules).
      "You don`t need a parachute to sky-dive......you only need a parachute to sky-dive twice..."

Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate. To grant some reputation points to the user that helped you, just click on the little Yin-Yang icon on the right of the user's answer and follow the prompt.

Comment

So is there FW between you and the Exchange server that you are trying to manage?
        Polycom Israel.

Comment

There is a firewall, but there are no blocking rules for both in-and outgoing traffic. Like I said , both my admin-workstatikon and the Citrix Server are on the same VLAN\subnet, so technically there shouldn ' t be a problem.

I did some tests with a VMWare machine on my admin-workstation. When I log in with a test-account similar to a Servicedesk co-worker, I can open ADUC [U]with[U] Exchange properties...(only the Mailbox Rights can 't be opened, but that is something with Security).

I did perform an ipconfig /registerdns on the Citrix Server, and also a nslookup isn 't showing any irregularities.

The reason I want to give acces to the external ADUC 's through Citrix is the simple fact that the Servicedesk workstations are all on the same VLAN\subnet, other than our VLAN, for security reasons. Both in- and outbound traffic is blocked for most of the TCP/UDP ports.

Comment

Can you install the ESM on other machine in the same VLan and see if you get the same error?
            Polycom Israel.

Comment

Goodmorning Thazi,

Thank you for trying to help me out so far!! Much appreciated!

yes, my colleague can connect to the "external" ADUC with Exchange extensions from his admin-workstation.

I think the problem might be something on the Citrix Server? (Adminpak /w SP1 an ESM had to be installed locally.)

Comment

Sorry Tzahi......I didn,t type your name correctly....

Comment

About the name - I don't care if you spell it "Daniel" even..

Anyway, definitely could be something with the installation - did you install the Exchange SP on your workstation as the Exchange server has?

Try to compare the installations, network config, windows updates, etc between the 2 workstations.

Keep updating
                  Polycom Israel.

Comment

Hi Tzahi,

well......I did check the installation on my own workstation and also on the Citrix Server. There were no differences between those two (only the fact that one is XP Pro and the other Win2K3).

I did remove the ESM software completely from the Citrix server ans reinstalled it after a reboot.

To my surprise is everything working just fine!!!!!

All the different ADUC 's are working as Published Application.

Thanks for your support. Much appreciated.
                    Til the next post........

Comment

No problems

Glad I could assist
                      Polycom Israel.

Comment

Working...
                      X